Lost in translation: How the media glorifies Drunkeness

Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I watched "the hangover" at a friend's place, and was silently asking the tiger, these twits pinched, to EAT THEM UP.

My RABF has his "own"song, and boy is it ever perfect for him...Merle Harzard singing I threw away the rose. As RABF says, "any time I get to wanting a drink, I hit that song...it stops me in my tracks."

As for this unintelligable gibberish, that blasts my eardrums, (God knows what it does to those hearing it thru ear pieces) I live in the hope, that as things go in spasms in music, at some stage, SOON I HOPE, some new and better, actual music and lyrics will come along.

OK so I am grumpy this morning, and darn rain and pain do not help. Grrrrrr

God bless
Old 04-14-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

The Hangover. ---> :-)
Old 04-18-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My husband was listening to the
BECAUSE I GOT HIGH by Afroman. He laughed and laughed. Completely missed the point of the song. I was listening with him and wondering what in the hell he was hearing because it wasn't the lyrics........
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I think it's distorting going the other way, too. For example, whenever you see an alcoholic in a movie (such as Meg Ryan in "When a Man Loves a Woman" or Michael Keaton in "Clean and Sober") they are so self-destructive that, when I compare them to myself, I figure, "I guess I'm not an alcoholic so much, then." I think this image of alcoholism, and that a drinking problem can have no subtleties, no creeping damage, creates alot of room for rationalization and denial for real people with real problems.

Rev
That's an excellent point. "Creeping damage" is an excellent description of what addiction has done to my former husband's life. When I saw "When a Man Loves a Woman" I was horrified. I've never seen anyone like that (and I haven't seen "Leaving Las Vegas" cause I know how it ends). My then husband never hid vodka, he never drove around drunk with our child, he never threw up in the shower. I think, still, as alcoholics go, he's not too bad. On any given day, he's functional... but from the outside, his life doesn't look enviable.

Linkmeister: Your dog sounds like he is serene and accepting! Will he be my sponsor?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just realised I put the name RABF and use as a nickname, of the singer of "our song" .
Anyone listened to the words of I threw away the Rose? This is written by someone who sure lived it, and it doesn't glorify alcohol as the wonderful gift some of the other songs do.

We called Merle Haggard (and didn't he look haggard) Merle Hazzard, because as RABF said, tossing the rose was the hazzard for both him and Merle.

Will see if I can post a copy of the words, or video of it.

God bless
Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuffaloGal View Post
Linkmeister: Your dog sounds like he is serene and accepting! Will he be my sponsor?
I'm sure he would be happy to, as long as you have an ample supply of bones....he will supply the love and support!!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

"Tried to make me go to rehab, I said, ' No, no, no.' "

I couldn't believe the bad taste of continuing to play the song after the singer had gone to rehab.