My weekend and more boundary issues

Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwantcontrol View Post
Even when i took him to the unit, they only talked to him for a while (once gave him lithium) and then told me to take him home and stay with him.
I am letting my head do the thinking though - I really do think it is the best thing to do, although if I know he's drinking I do try to stay clear.
Then drop him off and leave. If he needs watching for his safety they will keep him.

Just another option.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. You are in a tough spot but you are not trapped there. You can be kind, responsible, and human, without enabling.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i just started doubting whether it was codie behaviour or not. Maybe i should just keep these things to myself from now on.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think it screams codie behavior but that is no sign you should keep it to yourself. You are in good company.

We all scream codie behavior, or at least used to, so you aren't shocking us any. We wouldn't be here otherwise.

I went from screaming constantly to intermittent screeches, lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I was active in my alcoholism, I acted like I was bipolar!! My behaviour was insane, and I believed it was depression and not the drink. Strangely though, when I put the alcohol down and worked a program of recovery, my mental health straightened out. And I stopped drinking when everyone had left me, not when everybody was still in my life and put up with my behaviour. Just food for thought for you, with hugs.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thanks thumper, its just posting here often makes me feel loads better and more motivated to sort things in my head, but to be honest, this has made me feel a lot worse and quite upset, so i regret posting it at all.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

thanks megan
Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

I went from screaming constantly to intermittent screeches, lol.

sounds familiar LOL

Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sometimes it is the uncomfortableness that causes us to change?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

He really is struggling with depression (and almost manic episodes like that) at the moment and just needed someone to look after him and keep him safe from himself for a while.
Who's keeping you safe from him while you are keeping him safe from himself?

And I'm not just talking about physically safe.

Depression, drinking, mania, rage, 'not being safe', these are all things that are beyond your ability to handle. You aren't fixing him, you are stalling him.

You have the right idea: leave him to it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

When it has got really bad on a couple of occassions since we've been together, he had to be taken to hospital and I was worried that he might need to be taken on Saturday.
Hospitals are good places for sick people.

Before, he has mentioned in those epsiodes, wanting to hurt himself or someone etc and I was genuinely worried for his and other peoples safety.
Aren't you a 'someone' too? If you are genuinely worried about him hurting himself or another, call 911. If it's not that bad to call 911, walk away. It's not that bad.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

thanks thumper, its just posting here often makes me feel loads better and more motivated to sort things in my head, but to be honest, this has made me feel a lot worse and quite upset, so i regret posting it at all.
Can you talk about what you are feeling about that? Maybe clarifying it would help.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

If I’d just left him and he’d hurt himself or someone else, would that really be helpful to him?
Yes.

I let him suffer the consequences of his drinking, but that isn’t jsut a consequence of drinking, it is of being in a major depressive or manic episode.
Why does it matter? Even if he never took a drop of drink in his life, he still has the responsibility to manage his depression and mania. Mentally ill people have to learn how to manage their condition whether they like it or not if they want a happy productive life. Seeing a psychiatric on rare occasion and taking tablets that don't help, or tablets that are neutralized by your drinking will produce results he probably won't like. Why shield him from the consequences of his carelessness about his own mental well being?

Are you qualified to treat major depressive or manic episodes? If not, then what good are you really doing him?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingPeace1 View Post
Can you talk about what you are feeling about that? Maybe clarifying it would help.
This thread has just made me feel like a terrible person who always does the wrong thing and is making everything worse. I probably just need to disappear from here for a while and get things straight in my head. I actually felt a little picked on, although I know I asked for opinions and you are all probably a lot wiser than me about this. I know it is frustrating when you are telling someone something for their own good and they wont accept it, but everyones story is different.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No, not much different actually.....just a few names, cities, ages....but the stories are so similar that we can often finish one anothers tales of woe off.

You are not a terrible person, nor are you being picked on, it is just that you asked what to do, were given advice from folk who had been in the sh*t you are in, and you do not want to hear them.

Your man needs to hit his bottom, the absolute end, before he MAY decide to get help, but he can't reach his bottom as you dive in as his pillow, and he has another soft landing.
If you love him, and want to help him then let him go, let him alone to do what he needs to do. If however you need to keep saving him from what could be him saving himself, thus making you feel important and needed, then girlie, he isn't the only one with a problem.

I hope for both of you, that you do sit and think it all over and then come back and seek help for yourself.

God bless
Old 04-16-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

i dont need to keep saving him. I dont think I have saved him from anything really. There are plenty of times when i dont do anything - i dont rush in and help. and when i am there i havent prevented him feeling the consequences - if he has let me down I have made it clear that he needs to face up to what's happened. I haven't made it OK or easy for him to face what he needs to.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Before, he has mentioned in those epsiodes, wanting to hurt himself or someone etc and I was genuinely worried for his and other peoples safety. I don't think it would have been the right thing to leave him there and I can't think of many people who would have just walked off in that situation.
I truly believe I did the right thing.
iwantcontrol,

have you considered what happens if he does hurt someone else? kills them?
will their family feel all better when you explain that you believe you did the right thing?
will it assuage your guilt if he does manage to hurt himself seriously?
will you tell his family, it was about my feelings, my guilt, my need to rescue?
you will not take this well or even hear it i think, but i have read this thread over and over trying to remain calm.
please get out of his way, call the police when he threatens anything, and get help for yourself. someone could die from your superior knowledge of his depression and alcholism.
okay.
done.
Beth
Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

the only person he probably would have hurt was himself - he wanted to punish himself. I did do the right thing by taking him to hospital or calling the hospital for advice. Rather than than leave him on his own somewhere where anything couldve happened to him.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

As long as you've appointed yourself as his personal protector and savior, there is nothing any of us can say that will make any difference. It's a shame though, because I think your life is worth much more than being a babysitter to a grown man.

L
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

the only person he probably would have hurt was himself - he wanted to punish himself. I did do the right thing by taking him to hospital or calling the hospital for advice. Rather than than leave him on his own somewhere where anything couldve happened to him.
But sweetie, it seems like, from reading your post, that this man needs to face up to the consequences of his choices on his own. Yes by all means call the police give them his information so they (the pros) can take care of keeping him safe, but then "leaving him on his own somewhere where anything couldve happened to him" sounds exactly like what you need to do to detach and let HP take care of him.

Please try to remember that you do not control the outcome of this situation. HP does.

I sincerely hope you don't feel picked on and driven away from this place which can offer you a great deal of support. Perhaps the posters in your thread feel/show frustration because there appears to be some repetition in your posts, or because they simply want to see you step *away* from the addict to focus on yourself. There is no malevolence here though, and I do hope you see that.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Perhaps the posters in your thread feel/show frustration because there appears to be some repetition in your posts, or because they simply want to see you step *away* from the addict to focus on yourself. There is no malevolence here though, and I do hope you see that.
thank you noday. you are right. as usual.
if i was harsh iwantcontrol, i am sorry.
my best friend was killed by a drunk driver.
4 priors.