Quick question on Outpatient Treatment

Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick question on Outpatient Treatment

So my AH is supposed to start tomorrow- Tue in outpatient treatment. Doctor gave him meds last week, 3rd time in a 2 week period, because he could not give up the juice. In the past year, the doctor had given him meds to detox and he was always able to do it in about 3-4 days. Of course no other therapy after that and sure enough he would go back to drinking again usually in 2-3 month. This past month he has not been so lucky. Has the disease progressed to that point or is it him just not wanting to really do it?? Anyway, he claims he wants to quit but as of yesterday was still drinking, I have no idea how much wine because he hides it, always has, closet drinker. The doctor told him last week when he saw him that this was the LAST time for meds and he would not prescribe them again but would recommend inpatient treatment to detox. My AH seems to believe he will be off but I highly doubt it. He did not take the meds the right way to begin with as he had a business meeting he said he had to go to and put that above his own health, which of course continued his drinking and so he stopped the meds. When he got home on Sat. he was trying once again to detox with his 3 remaining pills (lorazapan)....Does anyone know if they test for alcohol in the system while in outpatient treatment or could he potentially still drink before he goes, during the lunch hr etc. without them knowing?? He is very cunning and has always tried to hide sobriety. do you think they will know since they are trained professionals? Just wondered some thoughts. I am not giving up hope just yet as I am at least happy he has agreed to 5 times a week all day for 4 weeks...just not sure if he will hide it all thru the program and will they know???
Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by member31986 View Post
So my AH is supposed to start tomorrow- Tue in outpatient treatment.
Great.

So, what about you? What are you doing to recover from living with active alcoholism?

Have you played the tape forward? If his efforts are half-a$$ attempts to fool everyone, what will you do to take care of yourself?
If he drops out of the program, what will you do to take care of yoursefl?
If he starts drinking within weeks of leaving the program, what will you do to take care of yourself?

Nothing changes if nothing changes. The only person you are powerful enough to change is yourself.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

It doesn't matter if he tries to hide it or not, bottom line is if he's not entering rehab for the right reasons then he will be drinking again in no time. Rehab can't force him to stop drinking, and they can't guarantee sobriety if he does stop while he's in the program.

This is all up to him.