Really down, support anyone?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations on going to your second alanon meeting tpen!
Hopefully you have begun an amazing journey of self-discovery.

But, it can be challenging: when we begin to piece together the puzzle of our codependency, it is often quite a surprise to learn some things about ourselves.

When my sponsor in AA first started pointing out my codependent behavior with my alcoholic brothers, no, I didn't want to hear it. I didn't want to see where I was a "fixer" or a "controller" with them.
But, now it is a relief to know that I don't have to just react to them, I can respond. I can step back from my reactions to situations and ask myself what my motives are, what is my role in the situation.
Before, I was in the dark and didn't understand my own behavior.
For the first time in my life I understand the question: "Who are you?"

I never knew why someone would even ask that. I always thought I knew who I was. What an awakening to realize that I didn't know who I was at all!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations on going to your second alanon meeting tpen!
You have begun an amazing journey of self-discovery.

But, it can be challenging: when we begin to piece together the puzzle of our codependency, it is often quite a surprise to learn some things about ourselves.

When my sponsor in AA first started pointing out my codependent behavior with my alcoholic brothers, no, I didn't want to hear it. I didn't want to see where I was a "fixer" or a "controller" with them.

But, now it is a relief to know that I don't have to just react to them, I can respond. I can step back from my reactions to situations and ask myself what my motives are, what is my role in the situation.

Before, I was in the dark and didn't understand my own behavior.
For the first time in my life I understand the question: "Who are you?"

I never knew why someone would even ask that. I always thought I knew who I was. What an awakening to realize that I didn't know who I was at all!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tpen this struck me:

I would like to think of it has building a relationship.

You can't do that by yourself. And say you were (both) building a relationship - think of it as a wall. The foundations of that wall have to be honesty, respect and trust. In most cases, in my experience (and I'm a recovering alcoholic) active alcoholism negates all those things. So if you kick out those foundations, how you going to build your wall?

Alanonics/codependents spend years and years trying to build a whole wall by themselves when the disease just keeps kicking those foundations out from under them. It's heartbreaking and totally futile.

I've been in your shoes - less than a year ago. For me, I had to detach and really accept that the relationship was over. Then there was grief (so painful). Then anger. Then I really got down to the nuts and bolts of beginning to look at -my- stuff. Just about to start my step four in alanon. One two and three saved my bacon.

I promise you it does get easier.

SL
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
today4me

Originally Posted by stilllearning View Post
Tpen this struck me: You can't do that by yourself. And say you were (both) building a relationship - think of it as a wall. The foundations of that wall have to be honesty, respect and trust. In most cases, in my experience (and I'm a recovering alcoholic) active alcoholism negates all those things. So if you kick out those foundations, how you going to build your wall?
I like analogies and this is a very good one. I've never been in a relationship or close to an alcholic. It makes sense why she did not want to help me with my trust, showed no respect and did not want to attend counseling.

Where I struggle though is I feel she wanted a life with me, but just couldn't win the battle.