Confession

Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Alizerin, I'm so very impressed by your honesty. Thank you for sharing. To get sober while you wanted to drown and die from guilt - that just seems almost impossible to imagine. I'm so glad you didn't drown and die. You're an inspiration.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Errr,

I just realized today something that got my dander up and had me all pantied in a bundled. Regarding my thread on dating. It seems that my stance on preferring to date men in the program could be based on this, as one BIG example? I would never keep this kind of thing from anyone in my life. I guess my thinking is that in some sense, only another recovering alcoholic could only understand and accept this deed? - In a companion type of way.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post
I guess my thinking is that in some sense, only another recovering alcoholic could only understand and accept this deed? - In a companion type of way.
Well, there you go assuming.....

Most who have posted on this thread are NOT recovering alcoholics. And yet, all have acceptance--even admiration--for you around this. Hmmmmm.

L
Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I see that. :-)
Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow!......I really admire your honesty.....and think you are amazing to have got sober in the middle of all this....god bless you and your sons.....take care Phiz
Old 04-13-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Well, there you go assuming.....

Most who have posted on this thread are NOT recovering alcoholics. And yet, all have acceptance--even admiration--for you around this. Hmmmmm.

L
Absolutely yes!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey there Alizerin, and pleased to "meet" you

... I guess my thinking is that in some sense, only another recovering alcoholic could only understand and accept this deed? .... .
Being a member of several 12 step programs, having been a guest in some where I claim no membership, and generally having seen a heck of a lot of the ugly side of life, it is my experience that alcoholics don't have a monopoly on making mistakes in life.

Neither do alcoholics have a monopoly on compassion and understanding.

"Alcoholism" means nothing more than a chemical addiction to a beverage. Attendance at meetings of AA just means the body is there. Neither of those have any connection to what lives inside a persons' heart. There's an old slogan I've heard around the rooms; "We don't care what lies behind you, or what lies ahead of you. What matters is what lies within you."

I think you just found a whole bunch of kind-hearted peeps right here on SR that proves that, and they're plenty happy to have you be a part of their world

Mike
Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I completely get what it is you're saying. I didn't mean to imply that alcoholics have a monopoly on anything.

FAS is centered around alcoholism. It's nothing short of horrid. Caused soley by alcoholism by an alcoholic. What I tend to think is that another alcoholic would/could only understand why someone could do this horrendous selfish act. While a non-alcoholic may have a much harder time wrapping their heads around it. So, let's say I go out with a nice man in no program at all. Then discuss my child. It would be quite a turn-off. An erroneous opinion could very well be formed. As one would have to ask themselves in one form or another "Is this the kind of person I see myself with".

This was the thought I was trying to convey.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

And that is the kind of "getting into another's head" that is a hallmark of codependency. Why not take what the world and other people offer at face value, instead of trying to anticipate, categorize, assume, and ultimately control? I have come across so many different people, with different viewpoints, and different beliefs in my life. Why limit yourself to a particular group of people with a particular common experience?

I learn the most from those who I have the least in common with.......it opens me up to things I might never have considered inside my little box......

L
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

... I didn't mean to imply that alcoholics have a monopoly on anything.....
gotcha, I apologize for my misunderstanding

... So, let's say I go out with a nice man in no program at all. Then discuss my child. It would be quite a turn-off. .....
hmmmm.... in my personal opinion, any "nice man" who finds your child a "turn-off" is not a nice man at all. Regardless of what program, or not program, any man who is "turned off" by a child with a misfortune doesn't count as a man in my book.

...An erroneous opinion could very well be formed. As one would have to ask themselves in one form or another "Is this the kind of person I see myself with" ....
As a single guy that would _not_ be the question in my mind. I would be asking myself if I am "man enough" to match the courage and determination of a mother that so deeply loves her child.

... This was the thought I was trying to convey.....
I think I get what you're trying to say. I think I'm just looking at it from the guys point of view. I've been single a few years now, and the amount of empty-headed, selfish, high-maintenance peeps I have met (of _all_ genders) is just sad. Peeps who have had basically easy lives, with no hardship to speak off, and no backbone. No, those are not the kind of person I see myself with.

I have also met a handful of ladies, in and out of program, who have overcome their share of hardship. Yes, some of it self-inflicted. But the point is they _overcome_ it, they have become stronger, healthier, kinder people as a result of it. Hardship brings out the _best_ in them. I am currently dating one such lady, and loving every minute of it.

From what you have described, you sound like you are making your ammends to your child with _actions_. I get the impression that you are stronger and more devoted as a result of having survived that nightmare. If some loser guy has a problem with that, then he is just not worth your time. Like all the other fine people here on SR, you have a heart of gold and the courage of a lioness. It's going to take a lion to be your partner, not some jackal.

Mike
p.s. No, I'm not hitting on you. I'm about to become a great-grand-father in a few months. Now if things don't work out with my g/f, and your _grandma_ is single .....
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Thanks Desert for that thoughtful response!!

"The amount of empty-headed, selfish, high-maintenance peeps I have met (of _all_ genders) is just sad. Peeps who have had basically easy lives, with no hardship to speak off, and no backbone. No, those are not the kind of person I see myself with."

Okay, I think that's what my head was trying to get at. This may be what I mean. I won't limit myself! :-)