dating a recovering alcoholic

Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dating a recovering alcoholic

Hi- Im 24, and I was dating a recovering alcoholic,he is 25.. for almost a year. We met and he was completely honest that he had just started sobriety and aa.

We have been through many ups and downs.. He has a lot of security issues... As well as he is very edgy... I have been very supportive, I go to meetings with him, and read about sobriety.

In the first three monthes of our relationship, his sponsor suggested it was not good to be in a romantic relationship.. So he tried to slow everything down with me..

Somehow, I decided I loved this man,so I would do what I could... We got past everything.. And I started to notice that all our fights, were to do with him being insecure, always thought I am right...Does not like to be told what to do...

Through out this whole mess we fell in love.. Our relationship seemed as though we would have a very good weekend, then a very bad weekend... As time went on, our feelings grew deeper because I was always there for him...We went through so much together...We had ups and downs in our relationship, however we are very much in love...We talked about getting engaged daily..

As it got closer to his one year being sober...He started to get funny..He decided to have his friends over, which was not a good idea because all they did was drink... This really messed up him, he did not drink, but it still confused him...

OUt of nowhere he said he needed time to figure out whether he is ready for a serious relationship, and feels like all our problems are due to him... I am devastated because i have been through this whole thing with him.... He still contacts me everyday..Saying he loves me and is taking this time apart to better our relationship...Make us stronger. He says he needs to get his house in order, and figure himself out.. It is really hard to remain in contact with him, but a part of me loves him... I don't know if I should not respond to him anymore...I need to move on for myself, because I can't wait around for him...I know he really loves me..If he did not he would have lost touch with me..I just know it is not healthy for me to remain in contact with him if he can't give me the relationship I want right now...But I want to be with him in the end...Can anyone give me advice
Old 04-05-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

I'm glad your friend is still sober. I hope he is able to maintain a lifetime of sobriety.

Did you ever try attending Alanon meetings to learn tools for dealing with an alcoholic (even if they have stopped drinking)?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have only attended AA meetings with him...that's it.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I'm so sorry. It seems like he's giving you mixed messages, letting you go and still saying he loves you. That's a terrible place to be! You may want to try to extract yourself. If he wants space - Give it to him, MAKE him take it. Then see what happens - Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I am devastated because i have been through this whole thing with him....

This whole thing is about him. His recovery from His addiction. You don't own any part of this thing.

Give him the space he needs.

Cut off contact and give yourself time to focus on your needs.
Ask yourself what kind of life partner do you want?
Do you want a relationship for better and worse? Because it sounds like this relationship will give you just as many bad times as good. Every other weekend sounds like a lot of conflict.

What do you want for your life?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ya, as hard as it is to admit you are right..I know you are... I guess I fell in love with him, and thought I could over look his problems....

I have not contacted him, it 's him contacting me...But I know what I need to do..and that is cut off contact....

I know I don't want a life long partner that is going to put me through this many ups and downs, this early on....
Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I am also a recovering alcoholic as well as recovering codependent exspouse of an alcoholic.

As I learned, addicts dont have relationships; they take hostages.

It sounds like your A wants to keep you on the wire, there in case he needs you.

You are important. You have needs and a very precious life!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just wish I was not involved in all of this, a part of me wishes he would have figured out he could not be serious, before we were...... But I guess I saw all the signs he was not ready yet for a relationship......I should have ended it then.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

You sound like part of our family. We've all got issues with entanglement (love that word). Getting all emeshed with troublesome people. I'm tryin to use these eyeballs of mine to SEE!!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Be gentle with yourself. Forgive yourself and learn from your experiences. We are all doing the best we can with the tools we have. The more we learn, the better equipped our tool belt becomes.

It will be difficult to stop taking his calls, texts and e-mails. You do this one day at a time. We are here to support you as you start taking care of yourself.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. I worry about him being around users. I think you would benefit from Alanon and the book Codependent No More by Melodie Bailie. I don't think I spelled it right. There are links where we study the book in here. I would go no contact with him. It gets easier like that eventually. The disease is out there getting stronger if he is not working his program. He is in a slippery place hanging around drinkers. You need to focus on you.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you, I am going to take your advice and not respond to him!

If it's meant to be it will be in the end.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Carol Star-

He actually does not hang out with users, that is the first time in a year, he says he did it to see how it would go...

He has been sober a year and still is...He s doing very well, or was... He is still not drinking, but says the weekend being around the drinking was hard and showed him how far he still has to come.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by elenamercade1 View Post
Carol Star-

He actually does not hang out with users, that is the first time in a year, he says he did it to see how it would go...

He has been sober a year and still is...He s doing very well, or was... He is still not drinking, but says the weekend being around the drinking was hard and showed him how far he still has to come.
That was wise of him to say. I'd be leery still. After a year, we typically have no desire to be with people who are not "present". (from experience).

How sure are you that he did not relapse? Has it crossed your mind?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Absolutely has, to tell you the truth It does...I think he did because all the sudden after that weekend he wanted time to be alone...I found out too that his sponsor had told him that he needed to take a break from me and focus on himself... A big part of me does think he may have relapsed...He even sounded very different after that weekend...Very distant..

There is no way to tell...I just hope he s ok. But, the bottom line is, I need to distance myself from him...I love him so much but it hurts to stay in touch with him, even though he wants that..I have to do what is best for myself.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by elenamercade1 View Post
Absolutely has, to tell you the truth It does...I think he did because all the sudden after that weekend he wanted time to be alone...I found out too that his sponsor had told him that he needed to take a break from me and focus on himself... A big part of me does think he may have relapsed...He even sounded very different after that weekend...Very distant..

There is no way to tell...I just hope he s ok. But, the bottom line is, I need to distance myself from him...I love him so much but it hurts to stay in touch with him, even though he wants that..I have to do what is best for myself.
This post then seals the deal.

RUN

This place has worked wonders for me. I'm glad you found us.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I've heard in here a zillion times: Trust your instincts.

They'll tell ya!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

His sponsor in the beginning of our relationship told him to take time away from me too..... And he couldnt do it...He told me we should be less serious, but he could not break up with me....

This time it was the same thing, only he did break it off.. And completely isolated himself...He did not want his parents coming to see him...It was very different
Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"He did not want his parents coming to see him."

One thing about this forum. It's hard not to see plain truth when it's our own words staring back at us. <<<hugs>>>
Old 04-05-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I'm excited for you. I think you'll get wonderful support. There's women in here who won't quit until they POUND that man right out of you!