Alcoholic son and alcoholic father battle it out...

Old 04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic son and alcoholic father battle it out...

Several weeks ago, my eldest son decided to leave his hometown and go to live with his father. He's in his late twenties, and old enough to do as he wishes (both where he lives AND how much he drinks).

I was actually happy he was leaving the area, as his life embarrasses me.
Sad, but true.

Well, after 3 bliss-filled weeks (pun intended) he's decided he can't live near his dad. He's coming back. They got into several physical knock-down, drag-outs and nearly got arrested for disorderly domestic conduct while fighting. The final straw came for him when he found his father unresponsive, and had to admit him to a hospital for alcohol poisoning. He nearly died. He remains gravely ill.

Two peas in a pod - so much alike. I actually hoped son would see the sad state his father is in for himself and it would be a "wake-up call" for him as well. Perhaps that has happened. I can only hope my prayers have been answered.

He (son) called and wanted to go into great detail with me about his dad, but I said quite honestly that I didn't wish to hear any of it. I've totally gotten past that, no hate, no pity, no feelings what-so-ever - after 27 years of being married to that man, I think that is quite an accomplishment! And, I can frankly say it is such a HUGE relief not to be worrying about what goes on in his life, nor do I have those lingering feelings of hate that seemed to linger so long after our separation/divorce. I've made peace with myself over the whole experience.

I'm minding my OWN business, just my own.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Originally Posted by isurvived View Post
I've made peace with myself over the whole experience.

I'm minding my OWN business, just my own.
You are an inspiration and it sounds like you have done more than just survived - I want to get to where you are!!