Upset today - kind words needed

Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

IWANT: it's totally the opposite when they stop drinking. If they stop drinking without being in recovery (12 steps, therapy etc) they actually can't deal with life AT ALL!
The booze helps them deal with life now.
Once they stop, they go back to the emotional age they started drinking at.
They are raw, scared fearful and can be REAL REAL jerks!

My relationship with my BF is worth it some days and some days is not. He stopped drinking a while back and life with him was WORSE!
I thought him going to AA and not drinking was the anwer, well the last 2 years (he fell off the wagon once in 2 yrs for 1 month) have been really hard since he's struggling to deal with life without his "booze mask"

It's called dry drunk syndrome
Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

My husband was awful when he wasn't drinking. He was just so mean to me and short-tempered with the kids and everyone else. When he was drunk, he was relaxed and could cope.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by iwantcontrol View Post
how would his life be worse if he stopped drinking? he would be able to deal with his problems etc a lot better. When he does have times without alcohol, things are better. They wont be fixed just like that but it would be a good start. Then we can see if our relationship is worth it or not i suppose. with alcohol in the way it is hard for us both to see clearly
At the risk of repeating what has been said several times before...the way he is NOW is the way he is. If the relationship is worth it, it is worth it right now, today, just as things exist this very moment. He is a drinker and it doesn't appear that he has any intention of stopping. You have been in this spot for a long time now and nothing has changed. Either accept him as he is right now, or move on. You keep trying to change him and you do not have the much power. Let him live his life the way he wants. It's his right.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Suki's right. The 'relationship' you're hanging on to doesn't exist. You want him to be somebody else. You've created a fantasy in your mind about how it 'could be,' and in the process you are ignoring what it really is. That's called denial.

L
Old 04-06-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I don’t give up on things easily unless i’ve done all i can, so it makes sense that i need him to have tried everything before i can mentally leave the situation. I hope you know what i mean. I’m jsut getting impatient because I want him to try these things at my speed. I can’t wait around much longer though, and once i’ve told him that, it is up to him to decide whether he wants to try rehab/another method, or whether he wants to lose me and carry on drinking like this.
It seems you have done all you can. What more can you do for this relationship?

Why haven't you told him it is rehab or I'm leaving? What are you waiting for exactly?

Your post starts off talking about detaching, veers off into fantasy, and ends with you still very much entangled by needing him to try something before you can feel like you've tried everything.

You've tried everything when *you've* tried it all. There is no room for another person in that sentence.

I'm sorry if I missed it in previous threads but have you tried going no-contact with him? If you could just take a month long break from him maybe it would help you with your personal recovery. A month is not a long time. It isn't to much to ask of either one of you.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

i havent told him its rehab or i'm leaving because i thought that was me being controlling and i shouldn't say that. It is what i want to say but i guess i can't say it until i mean it for sure.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

i havent told him its rehab or i'm leaving because i thought that was me being controlling and i shouldn't say that. It is what i want to say but i guess i can't say it until i mean it for sure.
That's it in a nutshell. You aren't ready to make the boundary that you have to enforce. When you've had enough, you will.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I don’t give up on things easily unless i’ve done all i can, so it makes sense that i need him to have tried everything before i can mentally leave the situation.

IWC, please examine this sentence closely, and you will find the answers eluding you.

"I don't give up on things easily unless I've done all I can": Do you have a picture of what "all I can" looks like? If you do not, then you will still be suffering the stress and pain of this relationship when you are 80, if the stress lets you live that long, because you're not yet convinced you've done all you can.

"so it makes sense that i need him to have tried everything": So it makes sense that you need someone else, over whom you have no control, and who does not WANT to do these things, who in fact REFUSES to do these things, to take some specific action in order for you to feel "you've" done everything?

You are a logical person. Does that sound logical?

You're doing better, but still trapped in, well, wanting control. And I don't think anything that anyone here says can change that. You want to control him, so he'll be better, so you'll be better. (in turn, lots of folks here want to change YOU, so you'll be better, but that's sort of the nature of the beast here )

You are definitely making progress. I hope you can continue to find a way to your own happiness. It does not lie in the hands of your boyfriend.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

i can see how illogical that sounds. the thing is, he does want to be better but maybe doesn't want to put the work in into getting there. if you spent 5 minutes with him it would be obvious he wants to get better, but maybe that is illusion.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

i can see how illogical that sounds. the thing is, he does want to be better but maybe doesn't want to put the work in into getting there. if you spent 5 minutes with him it would be obvious he wants to get better, but maybe that is illusion.
No. If he truly wanted to get better, he would be doing something about it. An outsider would be able to tell in 5 minutes that he's not interested. You can't see it because you are in the middle of the chaos.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

IWANT: when my BF walked into an AA meeting was when I finally left him. Before that, he wanted to get better too, but never had a reason. His ex of 20 yrs was an addict, his ex GF was an addict and then me, who was not an addict and believe it or not, I had boundaries and one day, he pushed me TOO far. I walked!
He went to AA because he was losing everything.
I never once asked him to go to AA, stop drinking or change.
My control issues with him only started when he joined AA (odd but true).

He wants to get well and I believe he does, but he doesn't want it bad enough
Just like obese people want to lose weight, they REALLY DO, but they won't get off their arse to exercise or eat well.........but believe me, they want it.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

oh and I need to add, I didn't walk away from him to get him to change or get a reaction, I was truly fed up!
I took him back because I saw how hard he was working on himself and it's been a REAL struggle since.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

the thing is, he does want to be better but maybe doesn't want to put the work in into getting there. if you spent 5 minutes with him it would be obvious he wants to get better, but maybe that is illusion.
What makes you think he wants to get better? Because he says it? Have you considered that maybe his words are being used to manipulate you into sticking around? Could that be one reason why his actions don't match?

For so many years, I tried to manipulate my husband into doing what I wanted. In turn, he continued to manipulate me into believing that he would do what I wanted--eventually. We did the mutual manipulation thing for about ten years. I never got him to do what I wanted, but I became someone I didn't like very much in the process. And he progressed in his alcoholism partly because I continued to play the game.

L
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

he did go out for a bit and happen to run into some mates so he had a beer with them one day, and then we stopped off in a pub where he had a couple of pints on our way to my house another day - but he was happy to just have that and it was like he was a normal drinker. I didn’t make a fuss about any of it as I’m trying to detach from his drinking and just allow him to do what he chooses about it without moaning and nagging. After all, normal couples can do that.
But you're not a "normal" couple. He is an alcoholic and you are co-dependant.

So, then he left my house Monday afternoon to get stuff done at his, but I’m pretty sure he had been drinking when we spoke on the phone, and then this morning (before 9am) I think he is drinking again. It seems he can have a perfectly ‘normal’ weekend, then as soon as he leaves me he is drinking.
Does this not show you something? That maybe it's a form of manipulation?

He tells me that once he’s found a job, alcohol wont be a problem
Found a job, got new friends, found somewhere to live, got over an ex, got oer a death in the family, got married, had kids, etc..etc... There's always something. There are millions of jobless people in the world today, especially in the current economical climate, are they all alcoholics because they aren't working? Many, many alcoholics hold down full time jobs and still find time to drink.

If he's using his employment status as an excuse for drinking, it sounds to me like he's still in denial, still validating it to himself. If that is the case then he's a hell of a way from rehab.

(he accuses me of being so negative all the time, but he is negative about everything usually).
It's called deflection. My A was the same. Of course I was only negative about things when I was trying to be realistic.."No we can't afford to go on holiday...you spend every penny we have spare on alcohol"..."You're SOOOO negative". Yeah ok, lol.

I too though am waiting for a magic bullet of sorts, and am clinging to the hope of rehab. It might not help him, but for me, I need him to have tried every option before I can give up on us. I’ve worked that out at least – that’s why I’m sticking around. I won’t give up all the time he still has methods he has yet to try, and as long as we have good times together.
We were all waiting for a magic bullet of some sort at one time. I waited oo at least 6 years. Changed into a completely different person in that time, bitter, angry, introverted etc..
How long are you prepared to wait for him to try the methods he has left?

I don’t give up on things easily unless i’ve done all i can, so it makes sense that i need him to have tried everything before i can mentally leave the situation.
I only had enough two years AFTER my A quit drinking. It doesn't get better just because they stop. They have to REALLLLLLLY want recovery to change.

I’m jsut getting impatient because I want him to try these things at my speed. I can’t wait around much longer though, and once i’ve told him that, it is up to him to decide whether he wants to try rehab/another method, or whether he wants to lose me and carry on drinking like this.
He has to want it for him, not for you. If he wanted it for him, REALLY wanted it, he would do something about it without ANY imput from you at all.