Outpatient Treatment??

Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Outpatient Treatment??

My AH was trying to detox himself, but knowing how dangerous that is, finally got him to seek medical attention. He is now detoxed after a few days of meds from doctor. Doc recomended treatment program and he went to Gateway North (Pittsburgh area) for his evaluation yesterday. They want him to do 5 days a weeks 9-4 for 4 weeks, which was a bit more than what we thought it was going to be. Has anyone out there done this type of program? There is also an evening program, I believe a few less days a week. Due to his job, obviously, this makes it very difficult to just give up an income for 4 weeks. yes, I know it is for his furture but I also wonder if the treatment they thought he needed was also because we have insurance and they know they will get paid. I hate to be skeptical about that part of it but it did come to mind. What are your thoughts? He did inpatient treatment 19 years ago, has been on and off the stuff ever since, very functional with a job etc. but as of late, the alcohol was literally killing him.

Would the evening program not be enough? Thoughts???
Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My take is that the more he does for his recovery, the better. The loss of income pales in comparison to the brighter future that lies ahead.

Of course, there are stories of people getting sober, and staying sober, without this kind of programming - some do it without outside assistance. But the successes are few and far between. Could he do a less intense program? Again, yes, probably. But I'd say weighing the pros and cons....it seems the "con" would be loss of income. How crucial is this short-term disadvantage weighed against the potential? A new life, a solid start, and the advantage of immersing himself in all the new thinking and tools that he must acquire. Also I'm thinking there might be programming for you involved.

Insurance? I'm not an insider in the system, but I'm not quite as skeptical. The people I know that are in the intake business go into it for the right reasons. It's not like they get a kick-back. Maybe there are other factors involved with them pushing someone into a program like this, but again, the benefits are probably justified, even if that is the case.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It depends on more than the outpatient program attendance, I believe. The level of dedication and working the outpatient as well as anything else he can devote himself too. I know in my late ABF's case (he was an addict & alcoholic) the inpatient and outpatient didn't work because he wasn't devoted to his own recovery. Only your AH can guage his level of devotion to complete abstinance and sobriety. I agree that the loss of income pales in comparison to sobriety.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool

Ah, the ole 'rehab or no rehab' question. Since I can only say what I know from my own experience.........: Absolutely (!!!), folks get and stay sober/clean without going to rehab (inpatient or outpatient). Of all my recovery friends and aquaintences (and there are many), only one of them went to a rehab facility. All the rest did it with only AA/NA (myself incluided), and we all have 20+ years.

As to the rehab/insurance question, I worked in insurance for quite a while. One of the main reasons insurance companies are covering less and less for rehab is just because of your question.....The rehab facilities were keeping clients for all their insurance would cover, and then sending them on their way, regardless of how much time the person may have needed. Are they still doing this....? I don't know. .....and of course, it always depends on the facility itself.....(honest or money-hungry)

Actually, I'm kinda ole school. With the esception of detox, I don't feel anybody truly 'needs' a rehab facility.....they're nice, and give a good box of recovery tools, but one can get those same tools from AA/NA.....and the facilities do keep a person rather isolated/cacooned, and sooner or later, one must leave the nest.....

Day program? Night program? I don't know. Neither will work if he doesn't want sobriety/recovery more than anything else (at which point almost any program would be the right program). In point of fact, no rehab works; it's the clients who do all the work. What does your spouse think? Has he been going to AA or NA? It would be a good idea if he does. Most rehabs get their clients to AA/NA meetings during their stay, and they suggest the clients continue after treatment. If he decides on rehab, he'll be ahead of the game, so to speak.....

I hope your spouse finds real, lasting recovery.............and you too..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He will get out of it what he puts into it.

I went through a 30 day inpatient rehab when I first got clean/sober.

I relapsed after 4 years.

When I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, I drug myself back up that long flight of steps to my 12 step home group and started over.

I've been clean/sober for over 19 years now. I wanted recovery more than staying in active alcoholism/addiction.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for all your thoughts....I know this is ultimately my AH's choice and yes, one month out of his life could be worth years of sobriety. No, he is not an AA goer as he hates meetings, thus this probably will not continue into AA regular meetings. I know he wants to clean himself up and believes he can do it with some help....will it be enough though? Only God knows that answer....time will tell.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
gmc

Hi there, my husband has been in an Intensive Oupatient Program for four weeks. This friday will be 28 days of not drinking for him. He travels a lot and just couldnt get traction with AA. I have positive thoughts about it.

He goes five days a week from 5 pm - 9 pm the first four weeks, then four weeks of four days a week from 5 pm - 9 pm, and then four weeks of three days a week from 5 pm - 9 pm. I joke right now that he spends 20 hrs a week finding himself. He goes to AA on the day he doesnt have the Oupatient meeting and will go to more AA meetings as he winds down the Outpatient. The clinic reserves the right to drug and alcohol test him at any moment and take action if he comes back positive.

My thoughts are that I was really angry at the whole situation for a while. He really could not leave his job for 30 days as we own a business. He had to say he couldnt travel for 12 weeks and his partners were willing to pick up the slack on the travel. Honestly, he is gone from 7 am to 9 - 9:30m pm every night (except the one day a week) and I am doing Al-Anon and therapy. It has given me much needed space from him time-wise and he has had a chance to work his program while still be a part of the family and we have all had a chance to incorporate a sober husband and father into our life in small bits. I think if he had gone to inpatient rehab for 30 days, it would have been harder for him to come back and be present as we would have all had the shock of it all at once.

It has worked for us as we have been able to address our issues as we face them in our own programs and we have talked to our daughter about him trying to be a part of the family again. He was never stumbling drunk in front of her so she doesnt know he is an alcoholic, she only knows he was going through a rough time and withdrew from us. It has been a process for her to get used to him being a part of the family and not resenting him too. But Outpatient has helped her go through the process at a slower pace too.

So, personally, I think it worked for her too for him to do it this way. I have to note though, that he was diagnosed as an early stage alcoholic so he didnt have the physical withdrawals that others may have. He had 3 or 4 off-balance days and the rest has been the mental aspect of it for him. So in all ways, Outpatient fit us just fine. Others may need Inpatient at first.

I suggest you look into it and see if it works for you but like others have said, his sobriety is worth it and if he is willing to do whatever it takes you are far ahead of the curve for most alcoholics so take advantage!

I wish you all the best with this!

Gabby
Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would think do as much treatment as possible. All the treatment in the world won't be enough if he doesn't really want it and work for it when he is done, but treatment can't hurt, and might help, so go full force.

My xah did the full time outpatient treatment (although he was away that entire time because it was long distance - he stayed in a motel) and he says he learned a lot from it. He had never been through treatment before so the education was all new to him and he also got a lot of tools to use.

He did not follow up with any solid recovery program, or their after care program, and relapsed in short order but I, personally, do not regret the treatment time. I'm not sure how he feels about it. He detoxed again once but again did not follow up with a recovery program and so it didn't stick.

Our situation was slightly different because his loss of income during that time was not a deal breaker. He took FMLA and used his sick leave/vacation time. I was also the main breadwinner.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I was able to build the fundamentals of my addiction treatment from such a program as out-patient. From those basic treatment tools I continue to grow in recovery. But its goes all for not if treatment isn't worked on a daily basis.