facing my fear/feeling my feelings

Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Instead of saying I AM sad/angry/confused/afraid, saying there is sadness/anger/confusion/fear IN ME

I like that, (I think I threw A new earth to the bottom of the "must read" pile in a fit of pique, can't remember quite why now, I certainly don't remember that bit, I'll re-try)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hi bookwyrm-

there is no way to dissolve fear other than facing it.

when i said it was helpful for me to state out loud the emotion that was surging through me, i did not mean to not have the emotion. for me, it helps me get present with it.

emotions NEVER lead one clearly. sit with it. have it. but don't make decisions whilst having them.

by their very nature, they pass thru. they are not you. you are much bigger than that.

ideally, one's emotional body should be like a calm lake on a windless day.

it is important to intellectually understand the NATURE of emotions. they come, they go IF YOU PERMIT THEM TO. they will pass through you cleanly if you experience them. do not let them guide you.

rather, be guided from your heart, combined with the mind, when the emotions are quiet. the two, heart center and mind center together are the best leader.

emotions will lead you astray.

love is not an emotion. it has no opposite. (some might argue here that the opposite of love is hate, but that is not true.)

the nature of emotions, they have an opposite. after having the emotion, i have found it useful to identify it's opposite. that way, i can understand where i have gone against the divine flow of things.

in knowing that they will pass, we can simply sit with them and let them move through us.

if we don't permit the emotion, but rather, block it, it will be stored in our body and this is the root of most diseases. the state of one's emotional body has direct consequences to one's physical body.

sadness, cleanly experienced, can actually be cleansing.

in stating aloud, say, "this is anger", the spell is broken in some way. for me, stating it aloud reminds me to let it flow through me. i do not pretend i am not angry, but i understand it will pass. stating it aloud to myself reminds me also not to speak to anyone whilst this energy is moving through me because i might say something i don't want to say.

we are much more than our emotions. moving to the passive observer has been helpful for me to not get carried away with my temporary emotional states.

hope that helps you bookwyrm.

naive
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naive View Post
in my experience, when i brace myself to jump off of the cliff into the huge crevass in my mind, the jump is only about 2 inches.
Love this! Thank you!

L
Old 03-30-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I was in the process of letting go, which terrified me because I knew I was going to hurt, my therapist always reminded me to sit with myself. Hard stuff! Anyway, I used to have this vision, a lot, of xabf standing on the edge of a cliff. I was hanging off the cliff holding on to the bottom of his pants. Funny now, but very scary then. My therapist advised to get in a very quiet place and figure out how to let go without seeing myself hit the ground from miles above. I finally visualized a little ledge that, if I stretched, I could hit with my toes. I had to learn to trust myself that I would be ok. When I let go, I was more than ok. I was great.

To me, this is not just for letting go. Getting to a quiet place and sitting with myself is almost a daily routine or check-in with myself.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

great stuff; thanks!!