CBT: experiences and thougths?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

CBT: experiences and thougths?

I made an appointment for a new therapist for Wed. While I love my old one, and she has helped me with a lot of things, I really need in person therapy. She's in CA, I'm in CO. It's hard to do phone sessions where she can't read my body language or see my reactions when she asks me things.

I've had a consultation with my new therapist last week and really like her. She specializes in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), and I've read about it and am interested in it.

Anyone have experience with this tool of therapy? Just looking to see what you all think about it and if you thought it was helpful...
Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've always admired CBT but only because it's the way that works for me.

I am a difficult patient. I will wallow in protectionist excuses and perceived triggers and give myself permission to act out and a dozen other unhelpful things. I have a strong tendency to let my past define me. My thoughts are what keep me in pain, not the actual circumstances of my life.

So keeping things in the realm of What Is Actually Happening Right Now and What Can I Be Doing Right Now tends to (for me) cut through all of the clinging I do to thoughts of past trauma, and opened up a whole new world of possibility. Helped me hugely in getting to this place of stability. It's certainly worth a try to see if your mind and heart respond.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have used CBT in therapy and counselling, and later on, for myself.
It is a tool and like all tools, does not always suit everyone for whatever reason.

Personally I found CBT, a wonderful way of "resetting" myself to suit who I am and even who I want to be.

Hope you and your new therapist are a successful team.

God bless