Broken Record?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broken Record?

This is something that AH has gotten worse and worse about over the past few years. He repeats himself constantly!

He will make the same statement or ask the same question day after day after day, as if we didn't just talk about it yesterday. It's about to drive the kids and I insane, and God forbid you you call him out on it. That's a sure invitation to get blasted.

Instead we just smile, grit our teeth and answer the same question over and over. I find myself walking away doing a slow burn, knowing it's ridiculous to have to walk on eggshells for such a stupid reason, but that's the way it is.

Is this a common problem for alcoholics, or am I possibly looking at another issue altogether?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How old is he? Mine is 50. I used to think it was wet brain? Then chemo brain? I'm embarrassed to admit I've made sarcastic jokes about being his memory. I've also noticed the 20 to 30 second delay when asked a direct question or action. It's frustrating and impossible, he is used to leaving the house without his phone, keys, tools, oh and the latest fun one is locking his keys in the car. He expects me to remember everything for him and remind him but not byatchy! He's kinda dry at the moment but he drinks kinda every 3 weeks or so. I'm also convinced he has other issues because of a head injury when he's was a week old. So I work on acceptance, because walking on eggshells isn't my style.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not entirely sure but I believe I have read that this could be the onset of alcoholic dementia.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenebynow View Post
How old is he? Mine is 50. I used to think it was wet brain? Then chemo brain? I'm embarrassed to admit I've made sarcastic jokes about being his memory. I've also noticed the 20 to 30 second delay when asked a direct question or action. It's frustrating and impossible, he is used to leaving the house without his phone, keys, tools, oh and the latest fun one is locking his keys in the car. He expects me to remember everything for him and remind him but not byatchy! He's kinda dry at the moment but he drinks kinda every 3 weeks or so. I'm also convinced he has other issues because of a head injury when he's was a week old. So I work on acceptance, because walking on eggshells isn't my style.
Mine is 50 also. There is also the fact that he seems to have heck spitting out a proper sentence most of the time. It goes something like this:

"Uhhhhhh, did you uhhhhh, ih, what's that thing called? You know? The uhhhhh... the oven! Did you, uhhhhhh call sombody about, ummmmmm seeing what's uhhhhhh broken or whatever??" Sometimes he trails off in the middle of a sentence and doesn't finish until prompted.

By the time he's finally done I'm ready to scream!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dry drunk. My stepfather does the same thing.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol induced dementia is a very real thing. It is impossible for us to say if that is what is going on but alcohol damages the brain directly and the nutritional deficiencies that go along with alcoholism can also affect cognitive function.