Dealing with the lies - for me...

Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Dealing with the lies - for me...

OK, so I’m definitely staying in my relationship with ABF (pending the unexpected) and am obviously therefore choosing to tolerate the lying. Now, I don’t really mean tolerate as such, but I know he does lie and I am still choosing to be in the relationship. So, I was wondering how best to deal with that, and whether anyone else is/has been in the same situation? I know he lies, and he knows I know that he lies (!), but he probably thinks he ‘gets away with’ more than he actually does. He lies about drinking obviously, and connected to that, he’ll lie about where he is, what he is doing and who he is with. He sees most of his lies as harmless and tells them to me to protect me, to stop me worrying and to make me proud of him (by saying he’s done certain things etc). I’ve explained that I hate lies and it doesn’t make me do any of the above – it just makes me feel worthless and destroys the trust I have left in him. He still does it, so for now, I’m choosing this situation.

I’m not happy about the lies and I know that however I handle things probably won’t change his behaviour, but for my own peace of mind and sanity, I don’t know the best way to deal with the lying. Any opinions would be welcomed. I can either:

- pretend I believe him for an easy life and carry on with the charade until he possibly tells me the truth one day
- pretend I believe him for a while (he’s usually drinking when tells the lie) but then reveal that I know he was lying once he’s sobered up (I usually do this, but it causes arguments because he gets angry at me for pretending that everything was OK, then saying it isn’t – because basically he thought he’d got away with it I think)
- tell him straight away that I know he is lying (and deal with the anger and rudeness this causes immediately). There is always the possibility that I might have got it wrong and he was telling the truth about something. This also leads to an argument because he thinks I’m always expecting the worst (well, duh)
- asking him after the event whether he was telling the truth or not (could get another lie in return so doesn’t achieve anything)
- try to get him to admit to his lie by being subtle and saying that it is OK but there really is no need to lie about things etc etc (the softly, nicely approach)

I expect you are all thinking I’m trying to control him and stop him lying by my response but I’ve already worked out that no matter what approach I take, he still lies to me (and the lies are getting bigger). This is purely for me. I need to work out the best way for me, so that it avoids too much confrontation but maintains my own sanity, so I know I’m not going mad and living in his fantasy world. Also, to add that he hasn’t cheated on me or lied about meeting women or anything, and I don’t think he would (but all this lying does make me doubt that a little – if he can lie about a family member being in hospital for no reason, then I’m sure he could lie about meeting another woman, but right now I don’t think he would. Hope I’m not being naive).

Thanks to anyone who can help. I am working on developing a boundary for accepting lying but I can’t enforce it until I know I could go through with the consequence. It is a work in progress. Any ideas are grateful on that too though!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lying is unacceptable. How can you trust someone that lies to you? Without trust, there is no relationship. And lying is intolerable.

I would re-think this boundary as more of a dealbreaker. Why should you have to accept he is a liar? Why do you think you need to make this a boundary? Are you just accepting it because it's easier than confronting him and make this an unacceptable trait for YOU in a partner? Just sayin.....
Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

because lying is part of alcoholism and I'm choosing to be in a relationship with an alcoholic. therefore, i have to deal with the lying somehow.
i know lying should be unacceptable and it has been for me in the past, but this relationship is different because alcoholics are different to normal partners i guess. i can't see that many people are in relationships with alcoholics that don't lie.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Do you think that maybe you're giving the alcohol too much credit here? A liar is a liar, drunk or sober... Have you read Under the Influence? It helped me learn about alcoholism, what XAH was into and how the disease progresses. Very enlightening.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you choose to be in the relationship and be lied to, I guess I would choose option A.

No confrontation, no fighting. Just say "uh-huh" every time he speaks and decide that he is not credible and you don't believe him.

Why spend all your time fighting? You already know that whatever you do, it won't change his behavior, so why not live in blissful ignorance and denial pretending everything is fine?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Asking him if he's lying, will not produce the truth and catching him will only cause him to be agitated. He will deny, deny deny

You're going to go to a place call "the crazies' trying to catch him or prove he's lying
Your madness and insanity will stop ONLY two ways, you leave or he goes into recovery.

It's a FULL TIME job keeping tabs on a pathalogical liar.

I was at my meeting on the weekend and there was a RA who talked about how much he lied to his wives (yes he had 3) and how he could not believe he lied so much
He lied about everything.
When he stopped lying is when he started to lose his AA buddies and two sponsors dumped him. He then woke up
If you're prepared to stay until a devine intervention, then you need to deatch, ignore, and try to find a way to go numb.

There is no other way to live with the sickness of lying
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

What is in this for you? What are you getting out of being in a relationship with an alcoholic and a liar? What is it that keeps you tied to him?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ahhhh the lying and deceipt ...... yes, you're right, they do go hand in hand with living with an addict. I don't think it'll do any good trying to have any sort of a real conversation when you're A's been drinking ... total waste of time and energy. The night before last I was having an afternoon doze and heard the zipper go on my bag and there was my drunk A with his hand in my purse, I asked him why he was going in my bag and he totally denied it even though I quite obviously saw him! He must've gone back in my bag during the night as money had gone when I checked on the way to work the next day. When he is sober I'm going to have one of those periodic conversations about unacceptable behaviour.

For me it's a gradual break down of the trust I think is so crucial in a relationship, I deal with it by detaching further and removing my trust further so I guess that's my boundary at the moment.

Roon x
Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

By accepting lies, you are thereby declaring them acceptable. yes, i've had tons of experience with the A liar. it undermines the relationship and insults the person being lied to.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by bookwyrm View Post
What is in this for you? What are you getting out of being in a relationship with an alcoholic and a liar? What is it that keeps you tied to him?
I wonder about these things too. What is so great about this guy that you would set aside the fact that he lies all the time? How can you trust someone who will lie even when telling the truth would be easier? How can you have a relationship with someone you can't trust? You aren't even married to the guy and don't even live with him. It just boggles my mind.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
How can you have a relationship with someone you can't trust? You aren't even married to the guy and don't even live with him. It just boggles my mind.

Mine too!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Personally, I think you are asking the wrong questions. Instead of asking how can I accept (insert unacceptable behavior here), you might want to ask why you think being with someone who behaves unacceptably is better than being without him.

L
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i know it sounds crazy, but there are so many people on SR that are in a similar situation, and even if i was married or living with him i don't think that would change things. i am fed up with the lies, i do hate the way things are when he's drinking, but i choose to stay with him (at the moment) because i am not ready to leave yet.
Thanks for your opinions - i really will mull them all over, including most that tell me i'm crazy. I keep hoping he will sort himself out. Maybe that wont ever happen. Maybe it will. I think I'll know when I've had enough and have given him all the chances he is going to get. I know i'm not there yet.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

but isn't everyone who is with an A and detaching, in some way 'accepting' the behaviour and finding a way to deal with it as best they can. i guess that is what i am asking for help with - how to deal with the lying as part of detachment from an A?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have the same hopes as you IWC (on a good day!!!). But I know if this carries on without him wanting recovery or seeking help I'll have no option but to bail out. Very scarey and I don't think I'm eady yet either (I've lived with him for 23 years - the last 18 months the drinking kicked in). I probably am a little crazy .... but working on copep me and educating myself the best I can.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by iwantcontrol View Post
but isn't everyone who is with an A and detaching, in some way 'accepting' the behaviour and finding a way to deal with it as best they can. i guess that is what i am asking for help with - how to deal with the lying as part of detachment from an A?
But most of them are either living with or married to the guy. You aren't. You already have your freedom, you just choose not to accept it. You seem to be trying to get more enmeshed with the addict. You have everything you need to free yourself, yet you refuse. That's what's so hard to understand.

Edit to add: Those of us here who appear strong didn't necessarily start out that way. Many of us were exactly where you are now or much worse. At some point, we had to stand up and say...I'm not going to live like this anymore! Did we have all the answers? No. Was it scary? Sure it was, but we had enough self-respect to do what was necessary to save ourselves. You can do it, too, but it just seems to me that you're going in the wrong direction.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

and, to add that i am dealing with this lying problem right now - and feeling very vulnerable. This second I want to burst into tears and end things with him - his lying makes me feel so upset (I know i need to work on detaching from this). He has let me down again today because we were supposed to be meeting tonight, but i just told him on the phone that i think we should cancel tonight because he has been drinking and had promised he wouldn't before seeing me. That's the first time I've actually said that to him. Usually I'd still want to see him, but right now I don't want him anywhere near me. I'm so angry and upset with him. He blatantly lied about where he was - one minute he was in his bathroom, the next (literally) he was in town. I could hear that he was in a pub. I wish I didn't love him so much so I could just wash my hands of it all right now. I'll feel differently when I've calmed down but i'm so angry.

Right, I shall start calming down by planning my own evening for me tonight. I've got lots I could be doing so it gives me an opportunity to do some of them i guess. I was so looking forward to what we'd planned tonight, even though part of me was expecting him to mess up.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

to suki- but you can be deeply involved with someone without having to be living together or married. we've been together almost a year and it isn't a relationship i feel i can just walk away from so easily.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwantcontrol View Post
to suki- but you can be deeply involved with someone without having to be living together or married. we've been together almost a year and it isn't a relationship i feel i can just walk away from so easily.
Well, IWC, it seems to me that your ABF can walk away from you at any time. He has the freedom to lie, manipulate and make you upset about his behavior. And suki is right..YOU have your freedom already. So, why not take it and see what happens? Maybe, just maybe, you would find that being by yourself is ok! Trusting in your own feelings, doing your own thing, and making your own plans that won't be cancelled will be enough to keep you away from his lies.

When you said you were looking forward to what you had planned with him tonight but knew he would mess it up anyway? Call a g/f or a buddy and go do it anyway! Do NOT let HIM spoil your plans! Stop putting him first.

As the slogan goes, JUST DO IT!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

are you reading the codependent no more book with us? it kind of seems that you are attempting to adapt to a relationship with an A and a liar. If you're okay with this within the dynamics of your relationship, what is the definite deal breaker for you?