O/T Our project

Old 03-04-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T Our project

We heard some tragic news this week, a young girl from this area committed suicide. She was 14 years old and was being bullied at school.

Three of us (parents and friends) have been chatting for a while about sorting a place out for kids to go, something to do etc, a youth club kind of thing.

Well, this week this young girl gave us the push we must have needed to set the wheels in motion. We've started looking for premises, we've been in touch with the local council and got their backing and assurances of support and funding, we're forging links with the community support police and almost ready to go. After months of just talking about it we've done so much in just 3 days.

It's going to be as much user led as possible, away from schools and any obvious authority somewhere the kids can feel safe and chill out, but get any help and advice they need too (or access to it at the very least)

When we open, we're going to call it Poppy's, as a tribute to the girl who died.

I just wanted to share that good things can come from tragedy in some ways, although in this case it could have come much sooner, guess we all need a push at times.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Lucy, I've often felt that while death can be so tragic, if it inspires what you're doing then it hasn't been in vain. This is a beautiful way to honor her memory.

And just imagine, if it helps even one young person, it'll be a success. Sounds to me like you're going to touch a lot of lives. Please keep us informed of the progress, OK?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lucy, that is the most wonderful thing that you are doing. With so much bad news all over the world you guys are doing something good for your community, and out of the goodness of your heart. What a fine example of what recovery is all about.

You rock.

And my prayers for the family of that child. I can't even imagine how much pain they must be in.

Mike
Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Actually, this is a little closer to home than I initially admitted (even to myself) one of my friends who's also involved in this project knows the girls mother, and my eldest son knew the girl for a short time as she hung out with him and his friends lately, I vaguely know her mother (as in I know who she is)
The girls mother spends more time in the pub than she does at home. Now I'm not blaming or judging her, I know it's an illness/poor choices/ whatever.
But it hit home with me, Joe could just as easily be the one who inspired this youth club. He was in the same position, an only child of a single addicted parent. He had someone though, and somewhere to go.

You can be sure we wont be ramming the 'evils of drink and drugs' down these kids throats, but you can be as equally sure that the information and support will be there for them to help them make the right choices for them.