Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Drink problem rearing its head again...6 months to our wedding..!!

Drink problem rearing its head again...6 months to our wedding..!!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cantonian View Post
Is he working a program of recovery, or just seeing a counselor. I don't think I ever would have been able to stay sober without a program of recovery and support group full of people more than willing to point out my BS alcoholic thinking and redirect it positively.
Well initially when he went into recovery(about 18 months ago) he went to AA and also the counsellor. Then after about 3 months, he said that AA wasnt really for him, the meetings made him uncomfortable and he felt he was strong enough to go it alone...!!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losingbattle View Post
I really am lost for what to do, my A is putting pressure on me to make a decision about our future either way.

He wants to "try" again, says it will be different yet will not agree to postone wedding..If I call it off he said thats it (he seems to forget that he is the one breaking his promises and leaving me with no option!) He told me last night that he is no longer an alcoholic ...Denial? or does he actually believe this?
Whatever he believes about himself, he is manipulating and coercing you to do what he wants. I'd take that as a clear sign of what you can expect if you marry him. Is that really how you want to spend your life?

L
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Probably the most honest thing your boyfriend has told you is that he will continue to drink. Believe him.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So sorry

I see that everyones posts are helpful good advice. Going to alanon saved my self righteous a$$! Give it a good try.
My advice? Don't give into his disease. He is an Alcoholic! He doesn't fit in there? Mine didn't either. I asked my abf what would he name himself on here. He said let me think. An hour later he tells me mostly sober.
So maybe I should be mostly serene? Ha ha, but seriously.
Can you put down all of his charecter traits you love on one page, all of his defects you don't love, compare the lists and see where. YOU. Stand on these?any dealbreakers?
People who have survived concentration camps, miraculously found peace, joy, and happiness and contentment. How? It's fascinating. I can relate when I read their words. Just like I relate on this recovery site.
We've all been thru some kinda hell, or we wouldn't have found this place.
Now that we are here, we find peace, happiness, and of course, we get lost in the weeds. Like they say in the food business help I'm stuck in the weeds! Then some kind generous fellow human usually helps us out of the weeds,
you deserve to inhale the scent of flowers, feel the warmth of the sun.
It's ok to postpone, you do not have to make a rash decision. Gather the facts, do your research, and please, keep coming back!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cantonian View Post
You are so right, he really hasn't left you but one option, there is a distinct possibility that by staying true to yourself you may lose this man, but your actions may also force him to confront the truth of his disease by losing you.
I wish the best for you and him, both.
That is a key point. Stay true to yourself. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the 'right thing was' and to do the 'right thing' by this person or that person or by some code of right/wrong in my head.

Those voices/thoughts were all so loud that I did not listen to my quiet inner voice. The disconnect made my thinking so clouded and I felt so crazy. I'll echo the advice to stay true to yourself.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

He told me last night that he is no longer an alcoholic ...Denial? or does he actually believe this?
Actually believing this IS denial.

The BEST predictor of future behavior is PAST behavior. What you HAVE BEEN getting is, for the most part, what you WILL GET from this guy in the future. Be strong in knowing what you want for yourself and your life; it is TOO EASY to let someone else sway us. If you have to be coerced or threatened into marrying someone, why on Earth would you want to marry them?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow.
He can't stop you from postponing the wedding.
He can choose not to marry you if you do so.
But if he did that, would he be a person you would WANT to marry?
If you knew for you that you needed to work things through in your head?
You matter.
Your needs matter.
Keep telling yourself that.

Hugs.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 love

I did not read any other repliers . I read your one post and now I am here writing:With what I know now, with what he said to you, I would get the hell out whether my heart was presently breaking or not!!!!!!!!! Because of what I know now chances are i would suffer a different kind of breaking later as I experienced a kind of silent death through the years. 5 years for you already though........... are you to the point where you relate to my term "silent death through the years?"

I am so sorry..... I hate to hear what he has just said, done to you.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi losingbattle,

I've been in 2 emotionally abusive relationships. One was w/o alcohol, one was with it. In both of those relationships, when if I wasn't ready to make a decision about the relationship as a whole, I made the decision to hold off on making any MAJOR decisions/commitments and also NO major purchases (house/car/etc.). Those were good decisions, and I'm glad I did that. I lived with the first significant other (non-alcoholic, but ACOA) and that was SO hard when I realized the abuse was escalating and I had to get the hell out of there with my kids. Such upheaval, and trying to keep myself and my kids "okay"... We weren't married, and my name wasn't on the house (I essentially paid rent) and it was STILL hard. My A now (we're taking a break for the next month) and I don't live together. WHEW, WHEW, WHEW. I can't tell you how happy I am that I never commited to that relationship in living arrangements/purchases, etc.

If this relationship is meant to be, it will be. You don't need to force it at all, it will unfold with love. Unfortunately, when I read your words, this situation does not feel like love to me, it feels like pressure. Only you can decide if that's what it feels like for you, I just wanted to share how it feels to me from the outside looking in.

I'm taking a month-long break from my A right now, and it's very hard but also feels a lot like relief--pressure has been lifted. Can you to consider giving yourself the gift of time and self-love, to have clarity around what is best for you and your future life?

Hugs~
Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi losingbattle,

I've been in 2 emotionally abusive relationships. One was w/o alcohol, one was with it. In both of those relationships, when if I wasn't ready to make a decision about the relationship as a whole, I made the decision to hold off on making any MAJOR decisions/commitments and also NO major purchases (house/car/etc.). Those were good decisions, and I'm glad I did that. I lived with the first significant other (non-alcoholic, but ACOA) and that was SO hard when I realized the abuse was escalating and I had to get the hell out of there with my kids. Such upheaval, and trying to keep myself and my kids "okay"... We weren't married, and my name wasn't on the house (I essentially paid rent) and it was STILL hard. My A now (we're taking a break for the next month) and I don't live together. WHEW, WHEW, WHEW. I can't tell you how happy I am that I never commited to that relationship in living arrangements/purchases, etc.

If this relationship is meant to be, it will be. You don't need to force it at all, it will unfold with love. Unfortunately, when I read your words, this situation does not feel like love to me, it feels like pressure. Only you can decide if that's what it feels like for you, I just wanted to share how it feels to me from the outside looking in.

I'm taking a month-long break from my A right now, and it's very hard but also feels a lot like relief--pressure has been lifted. Can you to consider giving yourself the gift of time and self-love, to have clarity around what is best for you and your future life?

Hugs~