Finally asked for help

Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally asked for help

A couple of months ago I posted the question on this forum about how to talk to an alcoholic about his problem. Thanks to all you wise folks, I never said a word about my friend’s problem drinking unless he brought it up first, and have been waiting for him to reach out.

Well he has FINALLY reached out and asked for help. He called during a drunken episode Friday night and said he was tired of it all and really needed help. He said he felt suicidal and much worse than he had ever felt. He asked if I would find someone for him to talk to. Yesterday I found a list of therapists covered on his insurance plan and a list of AA meetings in his area and sent those to him. My question is – is there anything else you can think of that would be helpful? I have been reading these forums a lot and am determined to stay detached and not interfere with him trying to help himself. I pray that he follows through with his cry for help. My hopes are not high, but my prayers are.

Again, if you can think of anything else that might be helpful, I would appreciate the advice. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

tell him about the sober/recovery forums?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well TX, he asked for people to talk to, and you gave him the names and contacts for AA and therapy, so if I were you, that is where I stand back and leave it to him.

When you say "My hopes are not high, but my prayers are.", I relate to that very much.
The more times my ABF relapsed or broke promises, the lower my hopes were next time but the higher my prayers, til finally it was a case of NO hope left, go NC and pray hard....
I don't know if it was a case of me butting out, so God could get in......but ABF only took a couple of weeks to seek help, and has remained in recovery this time.

You have done as asked, and been a friend to him, but now comes the hard part, keeping out of what is HIS business. When he wants it, he will get it....maybe now is that time, maybe not.......in fact...it maybe never.

All you can do is put him in God's hands and hope He will open your friend's mind and heart to healing and recovery.

God bless