Pets

Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pets

Freedom 1990's post about her dog really touched me today and triggered what I have been thinking for weeks. I want a dog. All my life except the past 4 years I have had a dog.

Now my relationship with XAP is over I am seriously considering getting a dog to love.
However I keep coming up with ideas / excuses as to why that is a bad idea.
I work full time.
I dont kow where I will be living next year so what if I cant get a rental becasue i have a dog.
I have always had and want a Border Collie which is impractical in town becasue they are a working dog.

But my HEART wants one to car for, love and be loved by.

What role do pets play in other SR members lives?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a puppy dog (really, not a puppy - she's 5ish) who is AMAZING. She's a Rez Dog. Long haired, black and brown and white, shepherd/rottie/chow/everything mix.
She IS difficult sometimes...well, not her but caring for her. Sometimes there is no one to watch her and we can't go out for a weekend, or sometimes I don't FEEL like going out, but she LIVES for her daily walk/ride/run/bike/ski - whatever it is, so I feel obligated...
And it is HARD to find rentals with her, for sure. We are paying an arm and a leg for this place because it is dog friendly and has a big fenced yard...
And I am LUCKY to have found a 4 month dog sitter for when I am in the park (no dogs!), which is a GODSEND.
But she is the BIGGEST LOVE. Unconditional Love. Always always always happy to see me. Snuggly forever. Devoted. Friendly. Furry. Playful. Goodness.
She gets me out almost every day to exercise.
She makes me happy to see her ENJOY running, chasing, eating snow, etc.
She is a total blessing to me.

We are also caring for the neighbor's cat. They moved away and said they were taking him to the pound if we didn't take him...so we temp-adopted him and are looking for a good home...
But he is SUCH A LOVE, too. So cuddly and purry and affectionate...
Critters are a gift gift gift.
I think we have to step up and follow Ceaser Milan's words of exercise, discipline and affection. I think we have to sacrifice for them sometimes (the daily walk comes to mind). But they more than amply reward us for it.

I'll try to post a pic or two later.

Hugs, w
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have always had a cat.

I would never want to be without a pet, they bring so much to my life, but I'm partial to cats.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I have 4 cats right now. My role model is the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons...

They have comforted me, made me laugh, driven me to distraction, had me sick with worry - and I wouldn't be without them. I have spent (and continue to spend) a small fortune lately with my eldest cat - he's 12. But he's worth it!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What about going through a rescue group? If you were to adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue group, they could help you find a more sedentary breed (not a border collie, probably!) who could adapt to your lifestyle.

It might not exactly be fair to leave a dog home all day, but most people do work, and dogs can do well in all kinds of circumstances.

I have 6 dogs, which I know is lunacy, but we have been so bereft of joy and love in our house that I welcome the chaos. The fun chaos - not alcoholic chaos.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stella27 View Post
What about going through a rescue group? If you were to adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue group, they could help you find a more sedentary breed (not a border collie, probably!) who could adapt to your lifestyle.

It might not exactly be fair to leave a dog home all day, but most people do work, and dogs can do well in all kinds of circumstances.

I have 6 dogs, which I know is lunacy, but we have been so bereft of joy and love in our house that I welcome the chaos. The fun chaos - not alcoholic chaos.
Hooray for this message! There are TONS AND TONS of critters out there waiting for love/waiting to die in shelters.
There are even rescue groups devoted to every kind of breed imaginable.
If you google 'what kind of dog should i get' there are tests to help you pick a breed.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Gold I agree with going to a shelter to rescue one of those poor fur baby's.

Fur baby's are the light of anyone's life.....I miss mine something terrible. I had two Lhasa Apso's (Mother and Daughter) I lost the mother 3 years ago now 3 days after her 18th Birthday and my little one I lost this coming Saturday will be just a year. (Also lived 2 weeks before her 18th Birthday)

They were a comfort to me when I felt no one else (beside's myself) was there for me....they went through a lot of ups and downs and a lot of good recovery to happier times with me! It breaks my heart to hear of all these animals in these shelters and i just want to save them ALL! Unfortunate I'am not in the position right now as I have been working 3 jobs and do not have the time but, hope to within the next year or two to go out and save one! They bring joy to our hearts in so many ways! I say GO FOR IT!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I live in a council run enclave for over 60's with a no pets policy, and some dork, has even banned us from having a darn budgie, and would you believe at another place they bitched about a chap with a goldfish in a bowl.

My 98 year old mum lost her 12 yr old corgi, "Bubbles" earlier this year, but had got a 5 yr old corgi+ a year before, so her sheltie, "Annie" wouldn't be lonely. She loves her animals and always has, reckons they keep her going as strong as she is and I agree.

For unconditional love........get a dog.

God bless
Old 03-01-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DMC

Mine have been part of my support group.

(I have 4 dogs, including 2 Border Collies, and 2 cats.)
Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had three dogs until two weeks ago, my beloved bullmastiff died suddenly and unexpectedly the day I was returning from vacation. My petsitter called me while I was sitting at the airport between planes; I flew home crying the entire flight.

I am left with a lovely old gentleman of a boxer and a mutt who I love dearly. I also have four cats in the house, and outdoors a small coop full of chickens and three horses. I have always loved animals and have rarely gone without a pet of some kind my entire life. I rescue constantly. I fostered boxers and bullmastiffs for two different rescue groups for many years up until I moved to my current state a little under three years ago.

With an empty crate and an aching heart I have decided not to get another dog, but opened my home up as a foster home for a local rescue group. I got my first foster last weekend, a lovely little rottie mix. I would love another dog, but I know that I can help more dogs in the long run by providing a foster home to dogs in need.

Sorry that was so long, my furkids are on my mind lately. I adore my children, they are my heart and my life, but I love my animals fiercely as well. In the worst times of my life my animals have been a source of peace, solace and have been the touchstones that have more than once kept me from taking my own life.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would not get thru some issues without my dog. 3 year old German Shepard. He is totally loyal to me. Follows me everywhere, I mean everywhere. To the bathroom, kitchen, office and when I go to bed, so does he. He seems to know when I am down because he seems to try and comfort me. Could not imagine life without him.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WOW DMC 2 Border Collies ..drool.

Yes everyone I have been googling our local rescue centres. If I get a dog I think it will be one from a shelter.

For unconditional love........get a dog.
LOL
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My dogs comfort me when everyone else thinks I should just "suck it up."
My dogs remind me when it's time to exercise.
My dogs remind me when I've been working too long and it's time to play.
My dogs make me laugh my a** off with their craziness, which releases endorphins into my bloodstream.
My dogs force me to get outside into the fresh air, even when I "have too much to do"
My dogs lay their heads in my lap and remind me that someone, somewhere adores me.

They are a big part of my recovery.

I purposely got breeds (rescues) that don't need three hours of exercise every day, and would do okay even if left for some periods of time. And I got two, to keep each other company. I used to have australian herding breeds and they ran me ragged, or drove me mad if they couldnt' get out and run for hours. I know that isn't something in my lifestyle right now.

I also lined up day care for them before getting them....so even if I was at the office all day, someone would stop in and check in on them, run them in the yard, etc.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

They are a responsibility, but to me they are well worth it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My Golden Retriever is the best. I can't imagine my life without him! His name is Hero!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo 5.jpg (32.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

2 of my crew are goldens. I adore them the most. Two are hilarious small mutts and the latest two are Japanese chin. Every single one of the six-some was a rescue. The chin are the most recent, but they are just precious and they crack me up.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
work in progress

I have 5 cats and 2 dogs and they are the absolute loves of my life.

My XAH threatened to try to take a few of them if I didn't give him the diamond ring he gave me back.....I'm giving Him the ring.

I've actually started to talk to them a lot lately, and they are just so gracious and think everything I say is just amazing...either that or they just want treats!
Either way...they are my best buds and I wouldn't know what I would do without them.

Adopt a new friend. You're life will be the better for it. It's also a really great way to meet new people. Dog parks rule.

Tip: If you adopt a dog, make sure you research what breeds can suit your lifestyle best. This will make sure it's a good fit. And watch The Dog Whisperer on NatGeo...he is magical.

Cats are great and very self sufficient if you're worried about a work schedule. They are purring pillows...who can resist that?

Good luck...love the post.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I LOVE animals!

I few months ago I too wanted a puppy or a cat to give endless love to. A puppy was going to be a little more expensive and I knew that my plans here were not solid... and I have always had cats, but also I have enjoyed being able to come and go. Still...I wanted a pet.
I went to petsmart one day wanting to just get ideas. I walked out with 2 turtle doves.
I know, such an odd choice! But they were so cozy in their little next together and they reminded me of love. I have named them Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh. Clark is clumsy...Vivien definitely runs the show. And they ignore me most of the time, but they are spoiled and I love them. They are so easy to care for, and you can develop special bonds with birds.
I tried to post a pic and I don't know how!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a puppy - 10 months today. His name is Gus. His dad is border collie; mom is schnauzer. He has icy blue eyes and cute as heck! Smart too! I choose not to be in a romantic relationship right now. Haven't been since the abusive relationship that I finally ended 3 years ago. I answered a roommate ad - townhome in town - with a lot of parks nearby - even a doggie park open in the Summer. AND my roommate LOVES Gus - so it all works out wonderfully. He sure has given this house a lot of entertainment.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Adopt a new friend. You're life will be the better for it. It's also a really great way to meet new people. Dog parks rule.
Oh good point!

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I am researching breeds and realise a Border Collie may not be appropriate unless an old retired one maybe.

I am also searching the adoption site.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah, Border Collies are really miserable unless they have a LOT of space to run in. I had one in a townhouse once and he was chewing furniture and had bowel issues (ahem), etc. I had to adopt him out again, poor fella, but those big brown eyes just swallowed me up and hit me at a vulnerable moment. So yeah, do the research and get an appropriate breed for sure. You'll both be much happier.