12 steps of nonrecovery - I LOVE IT!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 steps of nonrecovery - I LOVE IT!

I am officially a 12 step geek. This had me rolling.

The Twelve Steps of Non-Recovery
Evidently originally called the Twelve Steps to Insanity From the March 1990 Issue of the ACA Communicator, published by the Omaha - Council Bluffs Area Intergroup.
1. We admitted we were powerless over nothing, that we would manage our lives perfectly and those of anyone else who would allow us to.
2. Came to believe there was no power greater than ourselves and the rest of the world was insane.
3. Made a decision to have our loved ones and friends turn their will and their lives over to our care, even though they couldn't understand us.
4 Made a searching moral and immoral inventory of everyone we knew.
5. Admitted to the whole world the exact nature of everyone else's wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to make others straighten up and do right.
7. Demanded others to either shape up or ship out.
8 Made a list of all persons who had harmed us and became willing to go to any length to get even with them all.
9. Got direct revenge on such people whenever possible, except when to do so would cost us our lives, or at the very least a jail sentence.
10. Continued to take inventory of others, and when they were wrong promptly and repeatedly told them about it.
11. Sought through complaining and nagging to improve our relations with others as we couldn't understand them, asking only that they knuckle under and do it our way.
12. Having had a complete physical, emotional and spiritual breakdown as a result of these steps, we tried to blame it on others and to get sympathy and pity in all of our affairs.

A preferred version:

16 Steps for Discovery and Empowerment
From: Many Roads, One Journey; Moving Beyond the 12 Steps by Charlotte Kasl Ph.D.
1. We affirm we have the power to take charge of our lives and stop being dependent on substances or other people for our self-esteem and security.
2. We come to believe that God /the Goddess /Universe /Great Spirit /Higher Power awakens the healing wisdom within us when we open ourselves to that power.
3. We make a decision to become our authentic Selves and trust in the healing power of Truth.
4. We examine our beliefs, addictions, and dependent behavior in the context of living in a hierarchical, patriarchal culture.
5. We share with another person and the Universe all those things inside of us for which we feel shame and guilt.
6. We affirm and enjoy our strengths, talents, and creativity, striving not to hide these qualities to protect other's egos.
7. We become willing to let go of shame, guilt, and any behavior that keeps us from loving ourSelves and others.
8. We make a list of people we have harmed and people who have harmed us, and take steps to clear out negative energy by making
amends and sharing our grievances in a respectful way.
9. We express love and gratitude to others, and increasingly appreciate, the wonder of life and the blessings we do have.
10. We continue to trust our reality and daily affirm that we see what we see, we know what we know, and we feel what we feel.
11. We promptly acknowledge our mistakes and make amends when appropriate, but we do not say we are sorry for things we have not done and we do not cover up, analyze, or take responsibility for the shortcomings of others.
12. We seek out situations, jobs, and people that affirm our intelligence, perceptions, and self-worth and avoid situations or people who are hurtful, harmful, or demeaning to us.
13. We take steps to heal our physical bodies, organize our lives, reduce stress, and have fun.
14. We seek to find our inward calling, and develop the will and wisdom to follow it.
15. We accept the ups and downs of life as natural events that can be used as lessons for growth.
16. We grow in awareness that we are interrelated with all living things, and we contribute to restoring peace and balance on the planet.

The Miracle of The Twelve Step Recovery Process
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

6. We affirm and enjoy our strengths, talents, and creativity, striving not to hide these qualities to protect other's egos.

This was my favorite!!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

9. We express love and gratitude to others, and increasingly appreciate, the wonder of life and the blessings we do have.
10. We continue to trust our reality and daily affirm that we see what we see, we know what we know, and we feel what we feel.

Oh wonderful. To increasingly appreciate, the wonder of life and the blessings I have,
and to trust our reality....daily affirming what we see, know and feel.

In the hell, chaos and bewilderment of daily contact with an active alcoholic, I found very little of life's wonder, or many blessings in it.
As for trusting my reality....sheesh...I couldn't believe some of the c**p I went thru or how what I thought was real, turned into a horrible sci fi drama.

To get to where reality is believable, and there is wonder, beauty and blessing in my life, is a gift beyond price to me....And God help anyone who tries to take these from me.

God bless

Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

16. We grow in awareness that we are interrelated with all living things, and we contribute to restoring peace and balance on the planet.
I love it! Love it love it love love it! Thank you