Financial troubles...advice needed

Old 09-26-2003, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Financial troubles...advice needed

I know many Anons find themselves in financial troubles, so I thought this would be a good place to ask for advice. I have not been making enough money to support my meager lifestyle for months now. My mother has been helping me out, but she can't anymore because she needs all her money to move into assisted living. So I'm faced with probably not being able to pay all my bills next month. I'm going to talk to social services and a credit counselor. I'm not sure that the credit counselor can help, because I'm not overextended on credit cards. It's my regular bills That I'm not making enough to keep up with. If any of you have been in similar circumstances, I would appreciate a shove in the right direction. I really don't want to sell my car and my condo, but I might have to, if push comes to shove.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 09-26-2003, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gabe -

In order to give you decent answers I need to ask some questions. I'm a former loan officer with a bank as well as being married to an A that has caused alot of financial problems so I might be able to help you. I think I will send you private message.

Jo
Old 09-26-2003, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

When I divorced A #1 I had $5 in my pocket and nothing from him. I got food stamps for a bit and that helped. We (the Beav and I) didn't have much but we ate good!

How is your job? Could you use a new one? Could you add something part time while you figured out what to do?

Refinancing? Have you done that? Rates are really low.

Drop your land line and use your cell? Raise deductables on insurance?

Pull every bill out and examine it and see what could be done to cut. Shop phones, credit cards, etc. for the best rate. Around here utilities can be adjuxted to a flat monthly rate...so air in the summer or heat in the winter can be paid evenly all year.

Just some ideas from Just Tired.

Hugs!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, Gabe.....you are always such a great source of support and strength to me. I'm so sorry that you are experiencing financial difficulties. I know how difficult that is. My motto on money has always been that it never buys happiness but it does reduce stress.

JT had some excellent suggestions. I'm not sure what line of work you are in, and I know that I'm stating the obvious, but have you thought about checking out what other employment opportunities might be out there for you? You may be surprised to find that you have skills and abilities that certain companies are in demand for. Sometimes, what we possess, in terms of "soft skills," we take for granted in ourselves, and believe that everyone has them, therefore, believe that there is no demand.

During my years in social work, I became a certified employment consultant and worked to help people in similar situations.

I would be happy to assist you in any way I can. I'm not sure if or how much assistance that I can provide, but I can try! Feel free to PM me if you are interested. Please let me know if you do send a PM, because I don't check for them as much as I should.

I know this is obvious, but have you considered approaching your employer?

(((((HUGS))))))

Sarah
Old 09-26-2003, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone

for their good advice. Sarah, I will probably PM you tomorrow, it's late and I'm tired.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 09-27-2003, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Gabe

I just want you to know that you are in my prayers and that I believe that your needs will be met. Don't know why, but God seems to know and provides.

Hugs
Ann
Old 09-27-2003, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ann

I can't tell you how good it was to hear that I am in your prayers. I need them more than I have ever needed them in my life. Thanks for your good thoughts and spiritual support.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 09-27-2003, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If your place is big enough could you stand to take in a roommate for a while?

In my area they have a program where older people rent out part of their homes in exchange for services. The people who run it check everyone out and try to do good matches. The more stuff you do the less rent you pay. Maybe theres something like it in your area.