New Member looking for help and support

Old 09-25-2003, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

New Member looking for help and support

I am the sister of a 40 y/o who has been an alcoholic since she was 15. She has been in and out of recovery more times than I can count and was resuscitated approx 13 yrs ago with an alcohol blood level of 75.6. For the last 7 years my family and I thought she was sober. 4 yrs ago she developed excrutiating pain in her neck and was eventually diagnosed with degenerative disease in her neck. She was prescribed MS Contin, Oxycodone, Oxycontin and Wygesic among others for her pain and has had to undergo 2 cervical spine operations in the last 3 years. This past Friday my parents were called and advised that she had been "found" in an alcohol induced stupor. She is now staying with my parents and states she is "not taking anything". I know from all the years of dealing with this that she is lying.
I am a Paramedic and believe that she is co-addicted to both alcohol and prescription drugs. I love my sister more than anything BUT enough is enough! Please help!!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Dakotah,

I am so sad to hear about your sister. It is so difficult to watch someone that you love and care about hurt themselves so. Unfortunately she has to to want to help herself, niether you or your parents or anyone else can "make" her get better. You can however get help for you and coming here was a great start.

There are some power posts at the top of the board that have tons of valuable info and literature is available to order. Looking for an al-anon group to get involved in would also be great. By working on yourself it will ease the burden you feel you carry with your sister. Best of luck to you and keep coming back!

Blessings,
Constant
Old 09-25-2003, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Constant,

Thanks and it helps knowing there are many other people in the same position - desparate to help, angry that it is happening again and willing to do whatever is necessary to maintain an emotional distance (the hardest part) I just hope I'm up for it this time.

Thank you
Old 09-26-2003, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

dakota,

Welcome...pain meds almost certainly got her back to using alcohol. When a person has chronic pain AND is an an addict it is a double whammy.

You can't make your sister participate, but you are in a good position to research alternative pain management and/or therapy. If she wants to get sober she will need it.

Hugs,
JT