I'm new and I have a question

Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new and I have a question

My husband has detoxed 11 times and each time he has returned to drinking within just a couple of months. The last 3 times he was so close to death that the doctor didn't think he would get thru the detox process. We are now back to having one foot in the grave and the other on the banana peel. His last doctor has said that if he is going to drink I have to make sure he has alcohol because detoxing without medical attention would be fatal. Sooooo I make sure that there is alcohol in the house. Whether or not he drinks is up to him. We have moved across country to be closer to our daughter which means new doctors, etc. Yesterday, my therapist told me I could be held responsible for his death by providing him with alcohol. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't imagine that you would be held responsible for having alcohol in the house while an alcoholic lives there. It is still his choice as to whether he picks it up and drinks it - and I say that from a causation standpoint/legal-type analysis rather than from a "does an alcoholic ever really have a choice?" standpoint.

On the other hand, I disagree with the previous physical medical doctor (as opposed to psychiatrist) that YOU HAVE to make alcohol available to him.

Why not put him in charge of his own health?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i agree with stella. but, on the whole legal issue, i would say to ask your attorney. since it sounds as though this isn't a scare tactic, but truly a real possibility, you need to be sure your financial house is in order.

is there any other support we might be for you?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Family LinnyLou!

We let the lawyers handle the legal questions as state laws vary. And we allow the doctors to give medical advise.

We're here to support you as the loved one of an alcoholic. We offer our experience, strength and hope (ES&H) on a daily basis. You are not alone!

Please read and post as much as needed. We care about you!