Doing OK for now...

Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing OK for now...

AH left AMA (against medical advice) from Rehab on Tuesday, the reasons don't matter.

He's still sober... two meetings a day so far. And for the first time in 25 years he really seems to want to work the program. The actions are speaking louder than the words.

I obviously know the odds, but I am not freaking out like I normally would have. I'm detaching and breathing...

Just wanted to say thanks for being around... it helps tremendously!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

There are many paths to sobriety. I hope your husband is able to choose the one that brings him serenity.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's good to hear that he's not drinking.. I do hope for the both of you he stays with it..
Bright Blessings to you and your husband
Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good news, and long may it continue. What are you doing for yourself, while he works AA?
Please keep us posted, as Lord, we need bright moments to keep us sane.

God bless
Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all...

For myself, I am coming here often. I will be attending Alanon meetings on the weekends (my job just takes up too much of my week). Reading my books. I am working on a setting up a monthly Girls Night Out (like many of us, I have found myself with no true friends anymore). I've also picked up some old hobbies that I have loved in the past but drifted from.

I also let two of my work friends in on what is going on. Outside of our kids (even Mom or Sis) no one knows that he is an A. Geographical distance helped 'hide' that fact. Telling someone outside of the inner sanctum is a big step for me... removing of the veil of secrecy and shame.

Most importantly I'm taking it one day at a time..
Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drgnfly30 View Post
AH left AMA (against medical advice) from Rehab on Tuesday, the reasons don't matter.
would i be a debbie downer if i said i think it might matter why he checked himself out?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
would i be a debbie downer if i said i think it might matter why he checked himself out?
Didn't want the post to be more about him (& what may or may not be quacking) then about me.

This is per him... Not saying I believe it or not. Some of the minor details I do know are accurate such as alcoholics being the minority at this facility. I also know that 7 others went AMA that same day.

The majority of the residents were young... in their 20s. Most of their Drugs of Choice were Heroin, Meth & such. He's 44 & drinks, no hard drugs, ever. The other patients were generally unruly, disruptive, & stole. The snuck into each others rooms & screwed around (Co-Ed facility). The fought over stupid stuff, eg. salt & pepper at dinner. They slept during group, didn't take turns, inconsiderate. Complaints to staff resulted in nothing... The final straw was when he came out of the bathroom in his room to find the GF of one of his roomies alone in the room & rooting through my AH's drawers.

He felt that he couldn't concentrate on working his program & that it was testing his sobreity more than helping. He was also afraid he was on the verge doing something that would get him in trouble (eg. fighting).

He does seem dedicated.. we are in the midst of a snow storm (2FT so far!) & he still fully intends on going to AA this evening.. even said that he wouldn't allow a little snow to get in the way of his sobriety.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow, doesn't sound like a very tightly run facility.

yeah, i understand that when an enormous amount of bull sh!t goes on in an environment where people are fragile, it can undermine their good intentions.

he can definitely do 90 meetings in 90 days, or outpatient rehab, and many other things to stay sober. i wish you both the best!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like he is safer outside that Rehab, than being involved in the games being played in it.
Hope he can get to AA meeting, snowfalls not withstanding, and he sure does sound determined about it all.

God bless