The geographical cure

Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The geographical cure

My 27 yo son has informed me that he's leaving the state - to start "fresh" elsewhere. I guess it's called the geographical cure.

He's facing his 3rd OWI, which carries large fines, jail time, and suspension of his drivers license. (he drives anyway).

He figures he can leave all his transgressions behind, and get off "scott free". He's not interested in attaining sobriety... he doesn't have a problem he says. Denial is very thick. He's a chip off the block, his father is the same.

I told him... "it WILL catch up to you."

I have no idea what the laws are in other states, if a person has had his license revoked in one state, can they get a license elsewhere? I have no real idea of exactly where he is going, and he doesn't offer the information.

I am sure that running from his consequences will catch up with him in other ways in the future. Like when he applies for a job, files his taxes, applies for a mortgage or loan... it'll all be on record, and he'll be traced and denied of many opportunities.

I worry that some innocent person will be a victim of his bad choices... drinking and driving. The thought of that makes me want to report him. If something like that happens in the future, I will feel guilty if I don't warn someone. But who?

The only good thing about him moving away is it will be easier for me... I'm so ashamed of him and his bad reputation, and with him gone, I won't have to have that in my face to deal with.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You may want to ask MADD mothers against drunk driving for suggestions
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

The only good thing about him moving away is it will be easier for me... I'm so ashamed of him and his bad reputation, and with him gone, I won't have to have that in my face to deal with.
YAY FOR YOU!!! My brother leaving state was one of the most difficult and painful things I have ever had to experience but it was also one of the BEST things that could ever have happened. He had to let go of his lifeline and we had to let go of him. I honestly want to cry remembering this experience but ... once he left, he got much, much worse (for about a year) but a year or two after that, he FINALLY got clean and sober at the age of 38 (he started dropping acid at age 12 and just kept adding new drugs over time until he was eating 20 Percocet at a time at age 23. By the time he was 38 he was near-death shooting up ANYTHING he could get). He is now walking the straight and narrow and weighs a whopping 200 pounds!!! I couldn't be happier. I got my brother back.

I relate this story to you in the hopes that you are able to Let Go and Let God. That's what I did.