Sigh of relief...

Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sigh of relief...

Hey everyone, I'm feeling pretty good today.

As a quick recap, my ABF used to drink nightly and also binge drink on the weekends. I told him I wasn't comfortable with that and he cut back to 3-6 beers a week. Everything was fine until he went to a football party and drank far too much, came home, continued to drink and passed out. The next day I told him that he had a problem and that I thought he needed alcohol out of his life. He agreed and said he had a big decision to make.

Since then, he hasn't drank at all. He never said he was going to quit so I haven't held out hope for that, but each day he's not drinking is wonderful.

Lately I've been thinking a lot and wondering how severe his problem really is because when I asked him to cut back, he did and seemed fine with it. He didn't have trouble sleeping, wasn't irritable, or anything like that. I kind of relaxed and assumed there wasn't a problem, but when he passed out in the chair, it sent my panic into over-drive. Ohmigod, I'm in love with an alcoholic!!!!!!

Now, he hasn't been drinking at all, still seems fine. Still cheerul, still normal, no irritability or disconection. He does seem a lot more present than he used to be (even when he wasn't actually consuming the alcohol). I've been steeling myself for him to go out with the guys tonight, it's a monthly thing they do every month and I've been telling myself, don't worry about what happens, do your own stuff.

So today, he took me to lunch and I said, "so you're going out with the guys tonight?" He said, "no." I asked him why and he said, "because I want to spend the time with you." This is huge for him. Oh, if you guys knew him. He's never cancelled plans with friends EVER. In fact, until I realized how drunk he got with those friends, I always admired that if he said he was going to do something, he always did it. But this is huge, because that's what they DO.... drink!

So... yay!

PS. I know this doesn't mean "out of the woods" but darn it, what a relief for me today!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay! Y'all have fun tonight!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have fun - stay in the moment!
peace-
b
Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is great, and i hope things remain this way for you.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the best in your relationship.

God bless