Emotions

Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotions

Hi all, I haven't posted lately, as my emotions have been all over the map. I go from thinking I feel pretty good, to angry as hell, to sad and crying, to jealousy, resentment, and fear. I can't seem to get grounded in the here and now, and my EXABF even invades my dreams. I find myself isolating, using the weather as an excuse to stay home and sleep a lot. I read this meditation this morning, and I thought I would share it. I hope it is appropriate and it speaks to where I am and maybe some of you are also.

~Anger conquers when unresolved~

~Emotions need recognition. But not only attention; they also need acceptance as powerful dimensions of who we are. Their influence over who we are capable of becoming is mighty.

Respectful attention to and willing acceptance of our emotions, whether fear or anger or hateful jealousy, take away their sting. We can prevent them from growing larger than they are. Like a child who screams and misbehaves more and more fiercely until attention is won, our emotions grow larger and more intense the longer we deny their existence.

Our emotions bless us, in reality. They enrich our experiences. They serve as guideposts on the road we are traveling. How we "feel" at any single moment flags the level of our security, how close we are to our higher power, or committment to our program. Our emotions serve us well when they are acknowledged. On the other hand, when ignored or denied, they can immobilize us, even defeat us.

My feelings frequent my being, always. They steer my behavior. They reflect my attitudes. They hint at my closeness to God.~

~Hazelden Meditations, Each Day a New Beginning, Sept. 22.~

I hope this helps someone else, because I know that today my emotions feel like they are trying to kill me.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have much to add except I could have written your post and current road map of emotions word for word myself.

It's just nice to know someone else is all over the place like I am. And I believe it will all level out.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope the rest of your day has been more peaceful for you.