Define "love". Define "worth". Define "need".

Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My Mum has been the greatest example of LOVE in my life. Although I can't "define" love as some of you have so eloquently done, I can share an example.

When my brother and I were children (my beloved sister came much later), Mum gave us her time and undivided attention. She read to us, cooked with pleasure for us, dried our every tear. She had fun with us. A couple of times during the school year, she'd say; "It's a glorious day! Let's do something fun today." And she'd let us stay home from school. Then we'd put on an old pair of shoes, pack a lunch, and go exploring... in the woods, in streams, rock hopping, discovering new forests and clearings. She tucked us in every night and told us stories she made up. I'll always remember the story of "Chinese Red and Jerry"... OH how creative as you might glean just from the names. She held my hair back when I threw up, slept in my bed if I was sick or scared.

As we grew, she continued to love us even through our difficult teen years. She dealt with love with boyfriends, smoking cigs (and stuff), my running away most of the way across the country, and other stuff that I won't admit, even here.

As an adult, she's been my number 1 supporter and inspiration, no matter what I get myself into. Our house wasn't the cleanest, but OH MY were we loved and cherished.

I have never met a more selflessly giving, thoughtful, caring, all around wonderful person in my life, by half, than my Mother. I thank God she is still mostly healthy at age 76. I wish I lived next door to her rather than half way across the US.

I'm not explaining her love to the extent that I felt it, and still feel it, and will always. If there is a human example of something that comes close to God's love, that would be my Mum. I wish every one of you could meet her. Your lives would be enriched.