Strength from the past

Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strength from the past

Today is Australia Day. Over 200 years ago a member of my family left his home in Scotland to spend months in a small, crowded ship to venture into the totally unknown. The fleet of 11 ships arrived in what is now Sydney 222 years ago today, to be greeted by nothing but some probably startled and afraid Aborigines waving spears. All they had was what they brought with them, and the determination to survive and make good, thousands of miles from home, family and friends.

That man and his descendants worked hard, endured bushfires, floods, sickness, death, starvation, poverty, isolation and God knows what else, but never gave up and just kept going, 1 day at a time, 1 foot ahead of the other.

Thinking of those folk, and I knew some of them well, I feel empowered to follow in their footsteps, and not let their memories down by giving up when I strike it tough.

If they could face the unknown or seemingly impossible with courage and faith, then SO CAN I. Their blood runs in my veins still, and I can use the genes they passed on to me to keep moving forward.

To all the Aussies here at SR, don't give up, keep striving and have faith in yourself. Have a wonderful Australia Day.

God Bless

Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Had a lovely Aussie Day. Mass at 9am, and prayed for all on SR who needed healing, guidence, comfort and a boost.
Delicious lamb roast and a short nap afterwards, because I ate more than I should have and felt like a blimp.

Spoke to family and friends and thank God, all are healthy and happy.

The 2 cyclones just gave us buckets of rain and everything is clean and green, and it saved me having to water the garden.

All in all, a peaceful, thanks filled day for me.

God bless
Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad you had a great Australia day!....Its good to remember exactly where the day originates too.

The cyclone situation all tuned out well and the grass looks great although a little long LOL! :0)

We went to friends and had a get together which was fun and a happy happy day. Thank you for your experience, strength and support Jadmack.....your posts are always inspiring......Phiz :0)........am just off to put my timer on for 20 mins and run around like a mad women!! LOL!!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Australia. I have travelin' and living in other countries in me bones. But don't speak any other languages (fluently) than English. That's it. Now I know people in Australia. In 2 years when my baby is all grown up, you're going to find me on your doorstep one day. Woo Hoo!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am from England originally....but have lived here for ten years and it really is a very beautiful place to be! I miss my family and friends in the UK though and can't wait to visit them this Christmas!!

I too have travelled far and wide but really do call Australia home now.....and my three babies were all born here so I wonder where they will end up.....they will make their choice I guess as they get older......the funny thing is that I always remember my poor dear Mum ...who is sadly not atall well now.....saying I dont know how I will ever cope if one of my girls emmigrates!! But you know what Bless her she fully supported me every step of the way.... Phiz :0)
Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks girls.
Tigger, my door is open and the welcome mat is waiting for you to arrive.
Phiz, I moved from Melbourne to Whyalla in SA when my girls were small and my mum suddenly had her daughter and beloved grand kids 750 miles away. We went to their place every year for Christmas, and mum and dad cam to us every June, but it was hard.

Coming to North QLD 33 years ago was even harder, but mum has flown up here each
year til she broke her hip at 95 and of course we fly down to see her. She is coming here for my grand-daughter's wedding in August, just 3 months before her 99th birthday, and we can't wait.

They tell us that we can expect a rainfall of 400mls this weekend, so I have camping lights and cooking gear ready in case power goes out. Luckily were are on high ground and won't get flooded as so many were 2 years ago.

If I don't post for couple of days it means no power.

God bless