Why he won't get help

Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why he won't get help

So, my AH called today and I finally got up the nerve to bring up him getting help. It's been 9 days since he was served divorce papers (but who's counting). Since then neither of us have brought up the 'terms' in which I would cease the divorce proceedings.

Anyway, I gently brought up his seeking help. I asked him if he had thought about it at all and he replied that he had a little. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Have you thought anymore about getting help?
AH: Yes, I've thought about it. I want to get help and then I don't want to.
Me (very gently): Oookay...what makes you NOT want to?
AH: I want my freedom.
Me (confused): What do you mean?
AH: I like being able to do what I want to do.
Me: Um..yeah but it isn't jail. I hear it's actually quite nice...it's 'the place to be'. It's 28 days of your life. Days that will save your life and change it for the better.
AH: I know. I just don't want to go through the assessment again.
Blah, blah.

OK...WTF? I'm sorry but because you're too lazy to sit down for 2 hours for a chemical assessment you'd rather die? And what's this FREEDOM crap? Now, I've heard a lot of lame excuses in the past 9 months since we didn the intervention but I swear this one has to take the cake!

I'm going to look at townhouses tomorrow and hopefully find something I like so DD and I can keep pushing forward. He's gonna really flip when he finds that out. Maybe he'll calm down when I tell him "I want my freedom. You know what I mean right"?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdy4change View Post
I want my freedom.

I like being able to do what I want to do.
I got this from XAH all. the. time. It sounded so friggin adolescent. There's just no wrapping my brain around someone who uses that excuse. It's just pathetic.

I think your townhouse plan sounds great! Let us know what comes of it!