What I want and what I need are two different things.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I want and what I need are two different things.

I've spent the day emailing back and forth with my academic advisor to iron out last minute details on my spring semester schedule.

When I started this journey of finally finishing college and getting not one, but two degrees, I had high hopes of graduating this spring with the associate of applied science in medical information technology.

Then I was going to finish up the last 12 hours for the associate of arts degree.

This last semester was hard, brutal to be honest. I had 7 classes, and ended up in the hospital for 3 days in October which put me really far behind. I did not do nearly as well as I had hoped, but my GPA is still in the B range.

I was looking at 17 credit hours in order to finish this spring. I'm only capable of so much. Not only do I have existing health issues that tend to whack me at the most unexpected times, but I also was recently diagnosed with deterioration of the joints on both sides of my jaw.

My jaw essentially will lock up if I am not careful, especially when I'm doing something like brushing my teeth. Sometimes it's painful to chew if the joints are swollen. I have to use ice packs and ibuprofen to keep the swelling down. My migraines are exacerbated by it.

I have also got to continue looking for another job since the fiasco at the hospital last October. Dad is still paying my bills so I'm not homeless, and Mom is having some health issues where Dad really needs to be at home with her. He's still working because he can't afford to retire as long as he's helping me out. I feel incredibly guilty about that.

So I won't graduate with that first degree this spring, and you know what? I'm okay with that. Recovery has taught me that what is best is not always what I wanted in the first place.

I'll be carrying about 13 hours spring semester, 6 hours over the summer, and then will finish up next fall with 10 hours. That is very do-able for me.

Thank God for Alanon and a program of recovery that has helped me to learn a new way to live, embrace life, and when I get a curve ball or two thrown my way, I don't have to make it a crisis.

My sponsor gave me a medallion a few years ago that I carry with me. On the front it says, "We can't control the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails." The back says, "I am powerless but not helpless."

Amen to that.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I've got one of those medallions too DeV. Don't know why, but I carry it with me for protection when I'm on the motorcycle.

I really admire your strength, thanks as always for your inspiration.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hugs
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

A very famous singer in my country said "objectives can turn out to be limitations" that's so true...

My BF wanted to finish school in 2 years but he has worked and studied at the same time for several years and is exhausted. He decided to take a semester off. And its ok...

I hope you and your family feel better soon... take care ((freedom)) and thanks a lot for your ongoing support in this forum... easy does it.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Dad is still paying my bills so I'm not homeless.... I feel incredibly guilty about that.
Well, maybe you could balance that guilt with the pride that I'll bet your dad feels, watching you plow through your college goals. It's obviously worth it to him to help you out, or he wouldn't be doing it.

CLMI
Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Freedom))) - I figured you must have had one heckuva course load since I hadn't seen you around as much.

I'm proud of you that you have come so far, despite all the bumps, bruises, falls down the stairs, crazy bosses, etc. and you just keep plugging along.

When I started nursing school, I was determined that I was going to graduate with honors. When my mom died a week after my first year, I gave up on that thought and concentrated on graduating with a passing grade.

I love what your medallion says...it's so true. You are still my hero, and one of these days we will both be comfortable in our new careers and think back on these days and realize we had a few lessons we had to learn OUTSIDE of school

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Sounds to me like some really great growth Dev!!!!!

13 hours sounds much SANER, lol especially with your health problems.

The point is you keep moving forward, onward and upward ........................ that IS recovery!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How Cool, Freedom!
Congratulations!

And thanks for posting this:

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
when I get a curve ball or two thrown my way, I don't have to make it a crisis.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I cut my course load in half, Dev, because my sanity is more important than graduating a few months earlier....proud of you for doing the right thing for your mental health.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
I cut my course load in half, Dev, because my sanity is more important than graduating a few months earlier....proud of you for doing the right thing for your mental health.
Sanity is important!

Seriously, if I don't take care of my physical well-being, then my emotional/mental health, and my spirituality goes to hell in a handbasket pretty darned quickly.

I feel good about the choices I have made, and no big deal that college will take longer than originally planned.