So Alone

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Alone

SR Family,

I feel so alone. I've never really had to deal with alone. I'm doing it intentionally because I know it would be a bad idea for me to seek company from a man. Guess I'm learning deeply what I stated a while ago; that I don't like being alone.

Oh… there are wonderful people in my life; my SR family, my natural family, dear wonderful friends. But it's not the same as sharing a home, warmth, comfort, ideas, feelings, the burden of finances, hopes and dreams with a committed partner. I don't like it. Not one bit. But I am choosing this, and simply have to get through it and learn to be comfortable and even joyful by myself. Oh crap it's hard.

Then there's the added frustration with the legal system that doesn't consider promises and emotions. It hit me last night at my first appt with a counselor that I really am going to have to shoulder a lot financially that I shouldn't have to, but legally, must.

I'm working at home today which is good and bad. Being at work eliminates distractions from deep thought. And… being at work eliminates distractions from deep thought (repeat intended).

I'm sorry to be non-positive. But it's all encompassing-ly painful at the moment. I wish I had a man-partner here to comfort me. Then again, I'm glad I don't. I have to work through this. Wonder how long it will take.

Tigg
Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Tigger)))
You're doing great!
Just let those feelings be.
Give them space.
Sit with them.
Ask them what they are here to teach you.
Love them.
This too shall pass.

Hugs.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seeking Serenity

Originally Posted by tigger11 View Post
But it's not the same as sharing a home, warmth, comfort, ideas, feelings, the burden of finances, hopes and dreams with a committed partner. I don't like it. Not one bit. But I am choosing this, and simply have to get through it and learn to be comfortable and even joyful by myself. Oh crap it's hard.
Tigg...I feel it too, and what we feel is normal. I often find myself worrying about my financial situation and I miss sharing my life with someone. There are still times I find myself thinking I need to tell (insert husbands name here) about this thing that happened or that thing that was funny. It hurts when those moments happen and I realize I can't. He was such a large part of my life for a very long time...it's natual to miss him in it.

But on the flip side...do we miss the dream of the man we used to have? I think so. The man I left was not the man I married anymore anyway. Plus...not sure about you, but towards the end...I didn't share any thing of importance with him anyway. It would either end up in an arguement or I just wanted to keep a part of myself from him. In any case...the bottom line is I didn't have someone to share my life with...even while he was physically in my life.

Give yourself time Tig. It's a process that we go through...and it's normal. One foot in front of the other...one day at a time. Before you know it...you will feel better.

(((HUGS)))
Old 01-15-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a healthy post T!

You are lonely and for that I wish I could wrap you up in a blanket and comfort you.

I am bolstered by the fact that you learning to comfort yourself and be your own best companion and confidant. The path is one baby step after the other, but you will get there.

I have had to do the same. I've had roommates to live with since leaving my EXABF but have been reminded in one way or another that I can't let other people be my comfort that way. They have their own baggage that takes priority over little 'ole me.

Take is slow and steady...chocolate helps...naps, too.

Alice
Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tig, I so understand where you are coming from. It has been a difficult experience for me too. Today is the perfect example being Friday. I know that when I go home tonight unless I choose to make some plans with friends over the weekend or head to church on Sunday I could go until Monday morning without opening my mouth to speak, without seeing another human being, without any contact other than my little dog.....

But on the flip side of that, I have discovered all kinds of positive things to focus on. I get to watch any damn thing I want to on telelvision!! If I want to watch Lifetime Movies all day then I CAN! If I don't want to get out of my PJ's til Monday morning, brush my teeth or even comb my hair nobody will say a word! I don't have to cook! Or I can cook the most disgusting fattening full of carb treat my heart desires and EAT THE WHOLE thing if I want to! I don't have to shave my legs unless I decide to! LOL! I can read a great book without being interrupted. I can take a nice long nap or I can stay up all freaking night! The weekend is 100% mine to do with as I choose! And that just isn't all bad!

Hugs to you. Treat yourself this weekend by doing something you LOVE that he would hate if he were there. It will make you smile!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Grief is a process. It sucks, it hurts, it comes in waves, it takes far too long for our comfort. I really believe you are gonna get there. I feel strength in your post
Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sit thru the uncomfortableness and get to know yourself again.

it unfolds, like a flower, tigger.

give it some time. keep it simple. healthy food, sunlight, a walk. move your body. get off caffeine, sip hot water, honey and lemon. make some changes. ponder what it is you want in life. be helpful to others. be kind to yourself. splurge! light candles just for yourself. be open to other people. see what the universe has in store...

anyway, you're not alone. we're here with you all the way.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
miyah

Hi Tigger
Sending you hugs!!
I understand - I am in the same place as you. I find myself so restless and dissatisfied some days. Can't focus on school or anything else.
How the heck did we get here?
I have the feeling that with one more little issue and I will crumble. I had a little incident yesterday where I questioned if I was any better at chosing friends, than I was at choosing men.
I can't really seem to cry about any of it - just feel miserable.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

but how do you sit through the uncomfortableness? I'm still with my BF but often on my own and feel so lonely. I can't work out how to cope with these feelings either.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

^ what they all said

I like my own company, always have, but still sometimes I am overwhelmed by loneliness. I was within my marriage too.

I HATE having to go through the process, feeling pain etc: I'd really rather not bother if its all the same with everyone, thanks.

but b*gger if that isn't what got me here in the first place. Is it being alone you don't like or being lonely you don't like or both (we are all different)?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naive View Post
sit thru the uncomfortableness and get to know yourself again.

it unfolds, like a flower, tigger.

give it some time. keep it simple. healthy food, sunlight, a walk. move your body. get off caffeine, sip hot water, honey and lemon. make some changes. ponder what it is you want in life. be helpful to others. be kind to yourself. splurge! light candles just for yourself. be open to other people. see what the universe has in store...

anyway, you're not alone. we're here with you all the way.
Indeed! Much good stuff said here, Naive!

I was never comfortable being alone because I was never comfortable with self.

Thank God I hung in there and continued the internal work while trying my best not to act on the urges of seeking out male companionship.

Today, I wouldn't have it any other way. My 21 year old was over for about an hour today, and as much as I love her, I was danged glad to have the house back to myself when she left!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love Naive's posts!

There's a vast difference between choosing to be alone, and being lonely. Sorry I didn't distinguish. I LOVE being alone. I'm terribly uncomfortable/unhappy being lonely.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tigger11 View Post
I love Naive's posts!

There's a vast difference between choosing to be alone, and being lonely. Sorry I didn't distinguish. I LOVE being alone. I'm terribly uncomfortable/unhappy being lonely.
I know for me, being alone/being lonely were intertwined when I first got serious about my codependency issues. Does that make any sense?

It takes time, patience, and learning to take care of ourselves internally that the feelings of 'loneliness' subside.

Every once in a blue moon, I do get pangs of loneliness, and that's when I usually pick up the phone to call someone else in recovery, get out and take a walk, do something constructive to get me out of my head.

This too shall pass. :ghug3
Old 01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Forever4You and Coffeedrinker spoke the experience that has been mine.
Dear love, you are still in the midst of the divorce and in the early stages of separation.

I was going to phone you last night, but didn't want to bother...but I can phone you now!

loving hugs, bunches of them!
live
Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just called the doc (GP) for an appointment on Monday to review my SSRI meds. That was AFTER Live and I talked and she suggested stronglythat I do this. I LOVE my friends who keep me accountable and functioning and in the long run better and with more character (if that's possible) . I am well and truly blessed.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is my biggest issue as well. Don't quite know how to put it in words -- I guess I will call being alone - "solitude". I LOVE solitude. I never got any solitude when I was married, and a craved to so badly. What I wouldn't have given for a day with the house all to myself. But, at the end of the day, a want someone to come home. I want someone who I can share with. That I know will.... not "always be there", but who will "always be back"??? At the end of the day, someone who I can relax with. A partner. Without that I feel panic and sadness and very very alone. Call that loneliness I guess?? I do almost anything to avoid that feeling. And that is where I need to do the most work.....

And I don't feel so alone know that so many others of you struggle with this exact same thing.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

got confused, thought my post got lost and put it on your other thread, sorry for being so dingy sometimes!
It gives others laughs.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I rarely get lonely. Maybe I need to discuss that with my therapist.

OTOH - while living with my AH, I always felt alone.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Someone said to me once -

(I still blame them for starting this whole 'self relationship thing - LOL)

"If you were your best friend- would you let anyone treat you the way you do?"

It's been the onset of a couple of years' worth of unravelling.
But it *is* true-
we DO need a relationship with the Self.

And to make it the relationship
by which all others are guided.

Or modeled.

When *I* feel lonely -
I know I'm not *here*.
I'm on the outside someplace

and not on the inside.
Which is where I try to stay.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It seems there is such a common feeling of loneliness lately.... i'm feeling it too.

Just wanted to say this is such a great thread!
Thanks