Wondering...do the addicts/alcoholics read here in F&F?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Still waters. I read to remind me of where i have been and without staying in recovery, what I could do to others.....I have a disease that rippled outward and affected my loved ones. They don't talk to me about it as much anymore cause its been several years that I have been 'clean/sober'.

I like reading here....so I don't wanna 'forget' where i came from. I look at it that way. And I do light candles and hang spirit request flags for alot of folks I read about on here.

Because someone's 'prayers' saved me...something bigger than me got me into recovery.

I am glad we all have a central place to vent. As the child of an alkie. I relate. As a recovering alkie I need it and and as a parent of what is 'yet to come'...I am SO thankful for this forum.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your replies!

For clarification, I asked the original question from the vantage point of whether the A's read here to try to understand what it's like on our side of the street... not because I am concerned that my AS might read my posts.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Heathen

Thank you for clarifying!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I'm an ex cocaine junkie, been clean since 1983. I'm also an ex nicotine junkie, quit that in Feb of 07. My Father was an alcoholic but quit and remained sober until the day he died. I married an alcoholic that could not quit and ultimately gave up, she passed away last fall.

When I joined SR I thought I could help others here in the F&F forum understand the nature of addiction but discovered it was like a mother trying to explain to a man what it was like to give birth. You just wouldn't understand unless you've been there. Along the way I learned a lot myself and got help from others and hopefully helped others. I also made some great friends
Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello I primarily suffered from alcoholism, before drinking myself. I drank to escape alcoholism. I lived with alcoholics all my life, until the last couple of years, As you will know, it is no joke living with an alcoholic. in AA where i live there are few alkies who know what it is like to live with the alky. I does not surprise me the the secttions I see most on the forum are Friends and relatives of. I remember bein 14 years old and my Father being in DTS, he thinks im his mother, how freaky is that to the fragile teenage. mind.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am a regular reader/lurker here. I like to read posts here to see it from my husband's point of view. I am sober now and earning back trust, but I know it is very hard for him to forget the pain I put him through.