Newbie requesting assistance

Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Liz

Newbie requesting assistance

Hi. I'm not really sure what to say. I've been in a relationship and my boyfriend is/was an alcoholic. Right now he's in a rehab facility getting help. I'm just confused I guess. There is so much information out there and I can't tell what's right and what I need to know. I love Bryan, I really do and I've known since the beginning that he had a problem. I hate it when he drinks, it makes me worry about him so much and I hate seeing him in that state. I'm glad he's in rehab. I'm just not sure what to do on my end of things. I barely get to talk to him and I really need some advice and somebody to talk to. None of my family has any experience and until now, neither did I. I'm so proud of him right now, I think he gets his 1 month this week. I feel lame now, kinda whiney you know? Feel free to shut me up if in overstepping my bounds.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
gns

Welcome Randomness! You will find lots of support and wisdom in these forums.

It is a very confusing and overwhelming process - please keep posting.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Liz

Thanks. And I am indeed very overwhelmed. Even on just this one site there is so much to absorb, almost too much I think
Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Random,

WELCOME!!!

Perhaps you could not try to absorb so much, and just post your questions, then be patient for the replies. There is sure to be someone who suggests you read the sticky's at the top of the forum. Feel free to do so if you want, or not. That's kind of a "rule" here. Take what you need, and toss the rest away.

You're in a frightening place right now. Stay tuned. Perhaps people who have been through your particular situation will respond.

Meanwhile, please feel welcome!

Hugs to you!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Family!

Pull out the keyboard and make yourself at home. You will find information and support here.

You can learn alot about us and our experiences by reading the permanent posts at the top of this forum (sticky notes). You can post your questions and concerns too.

While he is working on his recovery, you can begin to focus on yourself and your needs.

What have you done today for YOU?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Liz

I guess I'm just feeling totally out of my depth here. I have been with bryan for maybe a month and a half. He's never hurt me and I've never given in to the desire to be an enabler. I just want to know how to deal. How can I help, how much can I help? What can and can't I do if I want to support him. How do I get rid of the desire to just pretend none of this happened? I'm bad with crowds and meetings, but I have gone to AAs before with him.