counseling

Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question counseling

Has anyone ever had there ah or abf decide on there own to go to therapy?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

My ex husband took himself to AA and got a sponsor when I filed for divorce.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

STBXAH decided to go for counselling for his alcoholism about 6 months before he left. Didn't make a damn bit of difference to the amount he was drinking but did give him plenty of ammunition to use in his manipulations and self justification....
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I filed for divorce and my ah went to detox/treatment.

He came home and started drinking again and then decided to start with a counselor.

I refused marriage counseling until he was in an active recovery program and sober for a period of time longer then a week.

He quit counseling after 2-3 individual sessions and we went together twice in an attempt to learn something so we could parent better. That was his idea/request. I think he just wanted the counselor to tell me I was wrong on all counts and I should do marriage counseling. He thinks the ending of this marriage is pretty much all my fault and also thinks every counselor he's spoken to has agreed with him. Despite the fact that the counselor told him, in front of me, that she would not do marriage counseling when the alcoholic spouse was active and not in a recovery program.

He's still drinking.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I did - three times into treatment for alcoholism. And also for depression/anxiety.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My RAH has been in and out of therapy - sober and drunk. MC and IC - never stays to complete the work - always thought I needed it more than he did. Surprisingly, most counselors didn't push for recovery when he was drinking. He did seem to get something from it some of the time or he wouldn't have gone back at all.

You can insist on it, but if the person doesn't see the need to change they probably won't continue.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

kassie 2

Originally Posted by Kassie2 View Post
My RAH has been in and out of therapy - sober and drunk. MC and IC - never stays to complete the work - always thought I needed it more than he did. Surprisingly, most counselors didn't push for recovery when he was drinking. He did seem to get something from it some of the time or he wouldn't have gone back at all.

You can insist on it, but if the person doesn't see the need to change they probably won't continue.
I have never insisted on it, this is something he has decided on his own. Just wondering if it really is going to help and even more so wondering if he will stay in it.