Feeling alone....

Old 12-31-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Honestly, Jodie, no, my brother was never in ICU as long as yours has been, but he has had many trips there, with similiar results to what your brother is experiencing. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you about how your brother's health crisis will resolve, but I don't.

All I can say is that you have to make a decision not to let your brother ruin your life. Believe me when I say that I am not minimizing my own addiction, but I recovered long before I hit any horrible bottom. I could just feel myself slipping away from the person - the wife, the mother, the mom, the sister, the friend, the "me" - that I wanted to be, and I quit. I think that my brother's addiction, and your brother's, can have that same power over us if we let it. We can get drug away, even by the best intentions, from who we are by trying to fix and control other people.

Make sure that you stay focused on the fact that you must remain healthy - mentally, spiritually, and physically - no matter what your brother does. You can't be there to help anyone if you aren't taking care of yourself. Please do that.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, hun.

Jomey
Old 12-31-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Jomey...This is a hard thing for the whole family to go thru over the holidays. It was hard to enjoy Christmas to the fullest with my AB being critical. Everyone seemed to be very low key this year...yet no one spoke one word about it the whole day. It has been a very depressing several weeks for me and I felt I was really getting in a slump. I would stay in my pj's all day and lay around sleeping. Since he is on his way to recovering, I'm starting to feel better. Its hard for me to enjoy life when he is in the prediciment that he is in. I know it sounds foolish to let someone else run my life but I love him so much! This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to my family....maybe if it continues thru his life...we will react differently..but we pray for his sobriety and that he never ever wants to go thru this again. Altho...I know alot of A do relapse...we still pray for the best. Yesterday I went to lunch with a friend that I haven't seen in 25yrs....we had an awesome time! I really needed to get out and enjoy myself, and I did, it felt great. But then I went to visit with my gram~ she raised helped raise my brother and I~, and all this has aged her sooooo much...it just crushes me to see her like this. She looks so tired and she is sleeping more then ever. I know she is depressed too. She is 86yrs old and its truely taking a big time toll on her I'm hoping today is a better day for us all!

Thank you for your kind words of wisdom!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Jodie - I know how you feel. We are going through a tough time right now with my brother as well. Not like what you are experiencing, but a crisis none the less. I know you can't just forget about your brother and go out live a carefree life. If that were true, I would have a lot less wrinkles and fewer gray hairs!!! For real!
I just want you to know that life will go on again, after this crisis, whether your bro. chooses sobriety or not. And I want you to have a life, no matter what his choice is...don't ignore your bro. or act like there is no problem, because, after all, he is a very sick man, but don't let yourself get so involved that you lose all the other things that are precious to you as well - your husband, your health, the rest of your family. I know exactly what you mean about seeing the pain in other family members and wishing you could take it away, wishing you could reassure them that it's not their fault, that they couldn't have known, couldn't have stopped it....have you given any thought to Al Anon? Maybe read their literature on line and try a meeting if you can...lots of good stuff there....and lots of people like you & me....loving an alcoholic...trying to make heads or tails out of their lives and our own.

Jomey
Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hello Hopper1 and welcome to the group. I tried to read through all the post carefully to see if I was missing more medical details about what is going on with your brother so I apologize if I did miss details.

First of all, I am a registered nurse. You and your family have a right to know every single thing going on with and being done for your brother. If you do not understand what they are doing to or for him ask. If you don't get the answer you want ask to speak to someone else. I agree that you must detach from your brother's drinking and you must not feel as though you caused any of this. But outside of that you and your family have the right to know what is going on with him.

It is possible that he has had a reaction to some medication that caused him a problem. It is possible that he suffered a heart attack, stroke, severe seizures or several other things during detox because it is very dangerous. Unfortunately it is even possible a mistake was made in his initial treatment that has lead to a problem. I do not say that to frighten you but to help you understand that at this point there is a reason other than alcohol withdrawal for why he is still critical and in ICU. Ask questions. You have a right to the answers. ICU visitation time is limited. That does not mean the information you have about why he is in ICU should be limited. You even have the right to sign a form and read your brothers chart if you want to.

As a nurse I can tell you one of the most frustrating things for me is to see families suffering simply because they don't know what is happening with a loved one whether they are an alcoholic or just grandpa has had a stroke. It does not matter the why. Families have the right to know. It is just that simple.

Ask questions. Get some answers. If I can help you let me know. As others have said, take this time to get some help for yourself if needed. Go to Al Alnon. Take care of you and learn what you can do when he does get out to support him with love and detachment.

Prayers for you and your family.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hiya Hopper-
Glad you're here! Lots of wisdom on these boards.
I have 3 A brothers and one has had a few hospitalizations. He was in ICU once after a drunken fight that left him with a massive subdural hematoma (brain bleed). He was such a combative patient, he needed restraints and sedation....

This serious hospitalization coincided with my first visits to AlAnon. I was in so much pain, I was also walking on eggshells all the time around him and never sure what to say.

Once he was out of ICU and in a regular room I gave him the number to local AA and I said "I hope you will use this soon and get some help. I love you and it was terrifying thinking you were going to die last week."

He crumpled up the piece of paper and cursed at me and was obnoxious and belligerent etc. But I felt this incredible "lightness" because I had finally said something true and non-judgemental. I didn't start an argument. I didn't engage with his obnoxious comments. I didn't listen to him defend his drinking or list his grievances with the world (why he drinks!! quack quack quack!!) I think I was crying...I was a mess that entire week- but I just squeezed his hand and then I left.

And with the help of AlAnon and therapy and much reading I slowly was able to get back on my side of the street. I had to come to believe - really believe:
I didn't Cause it.
I can't Control it.
I can't Cure it.

But there was a whole boatload of stuff I could do to stop enabling that poison that was killing him. But first I had to break free of all denial. I had to set my own boundaries of what I would and would not tolerate in my relationships with my A bros. And I had to know in my heart that until he sought recovery there was absolutely NOTHING I could do to either make him drink or make him stop drinking. That is entirely his choice every time 100%.

His head injury happened 20 years ago!! He just now, this year, has been attending AA and made some progress in recovery. He has also relapsed...but as of Christmas he had 60+ days again....I'm happy for him that he is trying. It's his life and I have to allow him the dignity to live it his way and not judge.

My little brother on the other hand is still an active mess. OOOOph. It is tough.

I am in Nursing school right now and one of the students in my clinical group had a Pt admitted for surgery after a terrible car accident. He was drunk. Our professor said it is our responsibility as nurses to provide information to alcoholics and addicts about treatment and we would be negligent if we didn't mention alcohol/drug abuse and the availability of AA and other treatment options. And she said it is within our scope to mention AlAnon to the spouse. She said people who are addicted need to have that option presented non-judgementally any time they run into a healthcare crisis - because the first 99 times they will blow you off - but that 100th time they may finally say "Yes, please, help me, I've had enough."

So it's good to recognize that an addict choosing to stop is a whole process - usually a very, very long process, and it really is between them and whoever they choose to reach out to - but not me! I can't help my brother quit and recover! He needs professional help or the help of other recovered alcoholics. I can love him, and give him the number to AA or a ride to a meeting and I can stop enabling - that's pretty much it.

That first few months of AlAnon was some of the most painful time in my life - but boy did it turn my head around. It helped me learn how to cope - gave me some tools - and also how to cope with the rest of my family - especially my enabling and codependent mother....

Sending out a prayer for you and your brother - and remember the best thing you can do for him, although it feels weird at first, is take care of yourself and live your very best life. That is the truth. (((((((hugs)))))))

peace-
b
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Forever4you,

I had been in contact with the nurses daily and the dr.s on a weekly basis. They have been very informative, and have been answering any questions I have had. I just seems to me that some are more informative then others. Not to mention how frustrating it is for us to be 2000miles away.

I'll try to make this as short as possible as far as explaining his stay so far.

When he was admitted into ICU, they said they were treating him for withdrawl and a urine infection. His friend told me that AB could not pee, and when he did it was brown. Thru his withdrawl period, he was very aggitated and restless. He could not lay still and was fighting with the nurses. Not to mention trying to pull the equipment off of him. They had to incubate him because he was so far under(medicated) that he was not breathing....I believe the meds were causing this? I was under the impression the he was in an induced coma to help him thru this for about two weeks. Every few days they would cut his meds back..remove the ventilator...just to see where he was at in withdrawl. His vitals would go haywire...his blood pressure would get risky high and his breathing was also risky rapid. Back under he would go. After approx. two weeks and taking the ventilator out several times the dr. contacted me and told me he needs a trach. His throat was so swollen and the tube can only be taken in and out so many times. Everytime they tried to bring him to, or cut back his meds, he would breath rapid and his heart rate and blood pressure would become a health risk. So, back under he goes. I asked how long can they do this and I never ever get a direct answer..."it depends on the patient" is what I hear. I explained that he is going to be aggresive because he came in for detox and he is waking up with a feeding tube in his nose~can't breath~ he has a ventilator down his throat~feels like he's suffocating~ and he is tied to his bed so he doesn't hurt himself or the nurses. Who wouldn't be flipping out? I know I would!That would be enough for my heart rate to rise and blood pressure to go haywire. I need to mention that he also had pnemonia from his breathing thru the tube..they said it is common in incubated patients.

I keep hearing that withdrawl symptoms and ICU psycosis symptoms are hard to differentiate...so now they are treating him for the psycosis. The slowly weened him off the withdrawl meds and this is what they are treating him for now. They also said he is withdrawing for the benzo's he was on and no longer from the alcohol. Afew days go by and they told me he has ICU delirium...now they are treating him for that. The gave him some propothol to let him rest..they believe he hasn't actually slept in 19 days. He has been restless the whole time he was under~lifting his butt off the bed, restless legs, just plain old contantly moving around~. They thought that this contributed to his psycosis and the propothol would help him sleep. It did..he has been resting comfortably for three days. He was starting to follow commands that the nurses would request, asking him yes and no questions, he would try to shake his head to respond. He has reconized his friends voice for the first time the other day. The nurse said he was crying the other night when she checked on him. I think this is all progress? The nurse yesterday told me they are going to try to put him in a chair since he has been cooperative. His legs are no longer strapped down. I was so thrilled to hear this, you can't imagine...progress! They are cutting his meds daily. He hasn't had any propothol since 5am and it is now 6pm. I had a great day yesterday..first time in three weeks.

I just got off the phone with the resident dr.....he told me AB had a rough night. He kicked the nurse...so his legs are restrained again.They didn't give him any propothol to sleep last night and he thinks this contributed to his aggitation. He is always at his worst in the night. They have him on alonzapine(sp?) for his ICU delirium and they want to slowly eliminate the propothol and increase the alonzapine at night. That is his goal. He said at one point they are just going to let him get aggitated to get him off all his meds...that is as long as his vitals stay normal. I question if this is ever going to happen?

I also found out today that he will be in for awhile yet...almost sounds like it could be a few months. He will have to go to a nursing facility for physical rehab. He will need to learn to walk again and rebuild his strenth. The dr. did mention that AB was an extreme case?So what it boiles down to in my nonmedical mind is....he would be better if he didn't go in with a urine infection, have pnemonia, and have highblood pressure, rapid heart rate, rapid breathing and ICU psycosis and delirium?

I appreciate any of your thoughts or anyone elses on his recovery!!!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Bernadette,

Thank you soooo much for your kind words. I totally feel your pain! Family is so important to me.

The hospital he is in, is governmant run~welfare hosp~. My AB stopped paying for helth insurance when the economy got bad and he had to prioritize his bills. I did some research and it sounds like he couldn't be in a better place. They really are taking good care of him. I was told that they are going to offer him all kinds of different options for A care once he is to that point. I feel if he were in a regular hosp., with medical insurance, they would be pushing him thru. You know how insurance works?! And they are not doing this to him...they keep treating him and it sounds like he is going to be in there for awhile. I am thankful for that! I am really thankful for alot of things right now..as crazy as my life is.

I truely do understand that I have no contol over what my brother chooses to do with his life...he is an adult. It just hurts so bad that he has gotten so out of control. It was alot easier screening his phone calls and only choosing to talk to him when he sounded sober.

I'll pray for sobriety for your brother in the new year! I'll pray for strength for you!

Hugs!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hopper1 I am glad to hear you are getting answers and information. Keep doing that and like I said before, if you don't understand the answer or don't think you are getting the full picture ask to speak to someone else. Don't let them make you feel like you are being a pain. You have a right to know so keep asking.

I am not sure if I saw how old your brother is but from reading all the information you gave above it sounds like he had many health problems prior to that phone call for help that ultimately lead to his detox. Those health issues are contributing to many of the problems he is having now and most were caused by the Alcoholism. In other words the stopping of the alcohol is no longer the culprit for all the problems he continues to have but the illness and damage caused by the alcohol use are.

What you describe as a urine infection sounds to me like he may have even reached the start of kidney failure which can happen in alcholics with long term alcohol use. When the kidneys cannot rid the body of elimination through urine the body essentially begins to posion itself. That alone can and may have lead to many complications. Do you have any idea how long he had been having difficulty urinating before he was admitted? How long had his urine been dark? Those answers will help you to know how long his body had been going through this state of posioning prior to admission and thus just how sick he might be regardless of the alcohol detox process.

It makes perfect sense that they have your brother intubated to assist his breathing while they have him sedated to a point he cannot breath on his own. That is not uncommon. But do you know if they have done an MRI, CT Scan or EEG on your brother to determine brain activity? Have they mentioned any type of brain injury, brain swelling or bleed that might be causing his aggressive behavior?

I cannot imagine how hard it must be for you and your family to be that far away. I know this must be frightning for all of you as well as heart breaking. I am sure he is in a great facility and they are providing the absolute best care for him. Keep us posted. Many prayers for all of you.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

forever,

Thank you for your professional opinion. My brother is 46 years old. I have no idea how long he was not able to urine. I don't think he was telling his friend everything that was going on with his body....to ashamed or maybe to scared to admitt it? The hosp. told me that they ran all kinds of tests and everything came back good. They run them constantly to make sure nothing else has risin. He did have an elevated liver function but its not threatening. Not sure about his brain activity...I never really thought to ask about that..thank you, I will be asking tomarro when I speak with a nurse. As far as his aggression...they say it's delirium...or so thats my understanding. He has aggressive behaviors when he is sober. Lots of anger inside that mind of his!

Thanks again!
Jodie
Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Forever,

I just spoke with the nurse and asked about the tests you mentioned. They all came back normal...He had a better day today, altho he tried to kick the night nurse and day nurse. They have him sitting up and said it looked like he was watching the t.v. He's been off the ventilator all day too. So folks...its back to feeling o.k. for me. What a roller coaster I am on...all from alcohol...and I'm not even the one drinking it.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

thanks for the update, Hopper. Just dropping in to see how you're doing.

*prayers*
Old 01-01-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Barb!!!!!!!!!! At the moment I am telling myself, that everyday AB is in the hosp., is one day closer to him getting out. Ask me again in 10min. lol

Prayers are always appreciated
Old 01-01-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Glad you're around.
And glad you found SR.

It's a trippy story, for sure.
I'm no doctor
(I've got enough problems - LOL)
but the whole 'induced coma' thing...

wow.

I truly hope the people lurking on here
read this thread and your story
from its beginning.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It would be wonderful if my story would help just one person! I myself, never knew that A could do this to someones body...Blows my mind! I truely believe his body was slowly shutting down and if he wouldn't of gotten help...I hate to think of where he would be today. I guarentee AB didn't bargain for this kind of recovery when he asked for help ...but I sure am proud of him for doing so!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

prayers for your brother's continued improvement....hope you are feeling ok too! Jomey
Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks Jomey! As you and many others know...prayers are always appreciated! I am finally feeling better too, just knowing that the worst is over for AB
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Have Hopper1 I have been out of town for a couple of day and just getting caught up. So glad to hear that your brother is making some progress. I am also very glad to hear that the test results are coming back normal.

If he has been sick for a while with other issues besides the alcoholism his recovery will take time but each day of progress is just that.....PROGRESS. I am so glad you shared your story here for others to see.

Many prayers for you. Keep us posted.