Miracles

Old 12-21-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Miracles

I joined Sober because I was dealing with my now ex-alcoholic/addict boyfriend. One thing he said that haunts me (right after his relapse) was "sobriety sucks...it's not fun".

Saturday night, I attended a huge Christmas bash with family and friends. There were over seventy people there, including my sober sister, clean for 2 years. Looking back, I don't remember many holidays with her that were 100% fun. She (and my other sister, clean for 9 years) were usually drunk, or on pills, or a combination of the two, and there was always spats, tension, and so on.

This year was so different. No alcohol was served. My aunt dedicated her life to Christ and is seeking treatment. My cousin has been free from alcohol and painkillers for six weeks, and this was the first time I've been in the same room with her when I didn't want to knock her out. We ate, opened presents, played Dirty Santa, took tons of pics, chased kids, and you would have never known it was "us".

This is because I come from a long line of addicts. I'm fortunate not to be one, but gosh, more than half my family has battled some substance or another.

My two sisters and I took the first picture together since we were teenagers...we look so happy, alive, and my oldest mused because we are finally a "real family" again.

The fun continued into Sunday, with a big party at my church. As we sang Christmas carols, I couldn't help but weep for my ex...so many people commit suicide at Christmastime, and I couldn't help but think of how lonely it must be, to be away from family and friends, holed up with the booze. I also couldn't help but wish he could have been here this weekend, to see how much fun life can be without substances...sober.

I mailed him a copy of the addiction case study I wrote about him, and that was it. I then went on to dry my tears and celebrate the miracles all around me...my sisters are sober, my family is healing, my kids have so much more of a "normal" existence than I did...they won't see the awful things I've seen.

Happy Holidays to all of you, and hope everyone sees miracles all around them, like I did.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I am very happy about your great weekend

and I love the pic of you holding a hockey stick - It warms my cold Canadian heart!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks KS! And, hockey is my life, lol!