is pot addictive?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is pot addictive?

I've got a 17 year old granson. Who is grounded for right now because of his drinking. This morning I open his bedroom door and his ceiling fan is on, his window in cracked open (it's 20 degrees here) and the room still smells of what I'm pretty sure is pot. So should I pick my battles and if he's stop drinking, just let the pot go? I know alot about drinking addiction and have told him we will no longer tolerate him drinking, if he drinks he will have to find another place to live. His mother also lives with us and is 4 months into recovery- she knows too that if she starts to drink again she is out too. Don't know alot about pot. I do know he is trading one addiction for another but not sure how to handle this. Right now he is still going to high school. Looking for advice! Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a special place in heaven for grandparents like you. ((((Hugs))))

I have teenagers and sent my son to rehab, mostly for smoking pot, but he most definitely was doing other drugs as well. Pot was just his main drug of choice. We've been thru some hard times the last 7 months, but I think he's doing OK now. Much better, anyway.

Whether or not it is addictive is not really the issue here, the point is that he is RELIANT on mind-altering substances to make it thru his day or to numb his feelings. This is most troublesome with teens because they stunt their emotional growth when they do that -- and you'll be stuck with a 17 year old BOY for the rest of your/his life! That's not a very bright prospect, is it?

I tell my kids (15 and 19) that I cannot control their behavior, but I CAN control the consequences and that is what I do. (Example: Yesterday my daughter was "missing" for 9 hours without checking in and I finally had to go find her!! -- she has had every electronic gizmo taken from her possession nor can she use the house land-line. She can sleep, eat, read or study. I'm still deciding how long -- probably till after finals next week.)

So you have to decide... is it OK with you that he is smoking pot in YOUR house? If nothing else, it is illegal! What if the neighbors smell it and call the cops? Besides, do you really want to send the message that pot is OK? As the counselor at rehab told us, pot is the greatest DE-motivator there is! If he's a student, that's not a good thing. Do you live in a major city? Is there a recovery program for teens in your area? Those can be very helpful.

Let us know how you're doing. It sounds like you can use the support!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Is pot addictive?

YES!

From my experience, it makes dealing with issues so much harder, memory lapses, more difficult to maintain ones emotions, effects the nerves, makes you sleepy, less motivated..

There just from the top of my head.

I agree, boundaries need to be set in relation to its use in your house. Difficult, as teenagers generally will find somewhere else to do what they want. I think education is key here.

You mention his mum is recovering? It is a very high possibility that this young man is carrying a large amount of unprocessed emotional baggage that HURTS and that he cannot deal with - pot removes the sadness, albeit temporarily.

He obviously doesn't worry about the fact it is only temporary because it works, for now. People don't usually like to acknowledge that drugs have a lure to them, the fact remains that this is making him feel good, at least better, he wouldn't be doing it if it felt bad KWIM? It is only with prolonged use that a person starts to feel the negative side of things and thats when you realise you are addicted IMO.

There has to be a two way approach to the problem - trying to educate him to stop reliance upon the drug to make him feel better and use more healthy approaches such as therapy for what he has been through with mum.

You can't cure symptoms of a problem and hope that it will go away.

Lily xxxxxxxxx
Old 12-13-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, good advice-- I will not tolerate the smoking of pot in my house, and he will be informed of that today (as if he doesn't already know it's wrong) If I would find pot or any other drug for that matter I think I would probably call the police myself-- We looked into a in house rehab monday nite when he got drunk and wrecked his car, his mom took him to the hosiptal, he was not hurt- just drunk, to admit him to rehab-- which at the time he was willing to go. Only to find out after waiting for 3 hours that we have to in house detox for minors in our area--go figure- so she brought him home and we got the pleasure of detoxing him. That would be the reason for his grounding.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, I feel like you were describing me. Except I am a girl....but that was my 'teen' years. I ended up locked up in juvie. I hope he finds a safe path. You are a wonderful grandparent. You may be able to look into young peoples meetings for AA. I started a group here 13 years ago and it does very well. You can call the local AA intergroup, they would be able to help you. By the way, I grew up and became a productive member of society ~HUGS~
Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you FanofjoeMcQ, just to know that there mite be hope for him is encouraging-- He's just a child making adult decsions and mistakes-- hoping to get him thru High school and praying he makes it on his own in the world-- Hope he doesn't do anything to get himself thrown in jail before he gets his head out of his ***.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The experts say that it is not physically addictive but can be psychologically. In other words, pot heads don't jones for a fix like alcoholics or heroin addicts (or even the way cigarette smokers do for nicotine).

But that's splitting hairs. Addiction is a psychological disease. Getting high becomes a coping mechanism that helps get through the day or through stressful situations.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I disagree with peace.. Pot is physically and psychologically addictive! My ex is a daily pot user for 10 years..he cant go 4 hours without getting high.. he gets stomach cramps, irritability, dry mouth, and severe insomnia if he doesnt smoke before bed..
also note.. emotionally and mentally he is still that 18 yr old kid. he cannot problem solve, delay gratification, think critically, or tell the truth to save his life.. .his DOC is POT and he is an addict to the fullest degree.... no job, dont take care of his kids, lives in his parents basement, ect.....
POT is no joke.. give it the respect it is due...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

No it is not physically addictive in the sense there is physical withdrawal symptoms and no "detox" is required to quit. Habit forming and psychologically addictive yes. It is a gateway drug and users will be more likely to experiment further. My experience was it was a great de-motivator and resulted in wasting a lot of time. Not much real "mind expanding" going on back then! I recall having insomnia for a night or two when I quit.

I understand the position you find yourself in and it's a pickle to be sure. Either you allow or do not allow illegal drug use in your home.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You don' t have to detox with a doctor from it but I was addicted to it. It is just changing seats on the Titanic. I would let her and the boy move out.He is her responsibility. You need to go to Alanon so you can learn to deal with both of them.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

pot isnt addictive and its not bad for you... and i dont buy the "gateway drug" thing either... i know a lot of people who smoke pot, actually most people i know smoke pot, and they're totally normal...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow Sara i think your in the wrong group here..

Ive seen what i've seen with my own eyes..ive seen Physical withdrawl.... in a very heavy pot smoker...

there are varying degrees of any substance abuse...if you only smoke once or twice a week you may not experience withdrawl..many ppl "detox" off of alcohol, heroin, and coke... they probably SHOULD Be under a doctors care but many do not... having to "detox" does not qualify a drug with being addictive or not...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Originally Posted by sara19 View Post
pot isnt addictive and its not bad for you... and i dont buy the "gateway drug" thing either... i know a lot of people who smoke pot, actually most people i know smoke pot, and they're totally normal...
Pot is another mind altering drug, and people who need to use it aren't "normal", they have a problem.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well his mom checked out his room and in her opinion, (she's smoked pot so she would know) the smell was not pot-- still not quit sure what it is. I agree that her and him should get thier own place at some point-- but right now she isn't fincicially able to. So we have told her as long as she remains clean and sober and works her program and keeps her job (she's a workahoiic too) she can stay with us. He has been told if he drinks or uses he's out of here-- He said he has no where to go, I told him I really didn't care-- his choice-- trying the tough love and detaching with love-- thanks for all your input-- I like getting different peoples opinions--it helps to decide if we are on the right track-- all his grandpa, I and his mother want is for him to grow up to be a happy healthy adult-- we all care, but it seems he doesn't-- but I'm sure you all already know that-- thanks again
Old 12-13-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No, no, no Sara. You are so, so wrong. You obviously must be a pot smoker yourself because this is what pot smokers believe about smoking pot.

It's incredibly addictive. My AH gets shaky and sweats if he hasn't smoked for 6 hours. The difference between a non-smoker and a smoker's reactions, memory, sense of reality, sense of time and space and EVERYTHING is different.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

gosh i'm goin crazy without the thank you button...THANK YOU NORMA...

miss muffet.. it may be Salvia.. alot of the teens are smoking or chewing it these days..It has a smell different from pot..
I believe it still is legal but still gets you high and is addictive...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

salvia isnt addictive or harmful either... ive tried it a few times, and its a little too scary for me, but it cant hurt you... and i wouldnt really call it a "high" either.. it's an intense psychedelic experience, it only lasts about 10 minutes, and you cant abuse it cause it just doesnt work that way
Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
IPT

my ex had serious issues with Pot. As she said "it is the only way I can find peace". Whether or not is physically addictive or not remains to be proven (but I suspect it is) but is for sure psychologically addicitve. She couldn't deal with things without being high and it became a crutch in a way that not omly destroyed "us" but cost her a few jobs too (from being to unmotivated to go). Yeah, a lot of people do it and get away without major reprecussions. Same with Alcohol though. I may be totally wrong here, but I think a lot of addiction has to do with the mindset of the person using. Of course things like Meth and coke tip the scales to the physiological side. Just my 2cents, but I never smoked Pot myself.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

okay people, let's get back to the subject of _our_ recovery.

This is _not_ a forum to discuss the medical details of various chemicals. This is a forum to share our personal experience with loving someone that has an addiction.

It's about their _behavior_ and our learning how to live with it, or choose not to live with it.

Any further giving of medical advice, such as whether a given chemcial is addictive or not, is in violation of the forum rules and various state and federal laws and will result in this thread being closed.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery