crisis

Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You are speaking from a position of strength. Good for you!
Some people are going to be mad at you because YOUR action (calling the police) reveals your H's problems to the world, while HIS actions (assaulting your son) are hidden from the world's view. It's a tough spot to be in.

It's happening to me right now -- my actions (leaving their son) exposes my in-laws to a lot of scrutiny in the community, so they are mad at me.

The anger is misplaced, but it is hard to feel judged by people who should be supporting you -- when you are doing the only thing that will protect your kids.

You have:
1. a good job
2. counseling resources
3. a house
4. security for yourself and your kids
5. food on the table

You are way ahead of the game.
I would suggest:
1. a counselor for you
2. an attorney

Good luck. You can do this.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Getting Over It

Thank you, Stella. Very, very much...
Old 12-11-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've got to say something here. Not all alcoholics are abusers, not all abusers are alcoholics. My husband was abusive when he was a drinker. He is sober now, has done some recovery work (although I do stay out of it because I don't want to enroach on his business) and he has been fine after the fog lifted. Maybe I read the post wrong but that post about abusive people makes it sound like drinking is something you can recover from, but an abusive personality is part of you. If my husband didn't get help, then yes, he probably would have stayed abusive but people can recover from all their ills if they want it.

Just bringing it back to the original poster - it will get worse. You can't control your husband's actions. You can only control your own. What is your next step?