Does anyone know?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone know?

I have all the test results back from AH's visit to the ER on Thursday. Does anyone know of a good website I can look to see what all this means? For instance, I'm interested in knowing with the falling WB and RB cell counts what that means. Also, I read somewhere that the ALT and AST numbers are important and they are really high...

Just hoping to find out a little more information.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

Do you want to know because you want to know or because you want to be able to use it as ammunition to continue trying to get him to quit drinking? I wanted to know out of concern for his health. To try to do the right thing and get him to do the right thing. But deep down it was just another one of my ploys to get him to clean up. I wished that I had never looked up all the results from his testing. It wasn't worth it.

But you can try Web MD (WebMD - Better information. Better health.). They usually have some pretty good information.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use this site for work. It's very informative for lab results.

Lab Tests Online: Welcome!

Alice
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

kv...I want to know out of concern. I'm one of those people that just has to know. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can be used as ammunition to get him help. I believe he truly does not want it.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdy4change View Post
I have all the test results back from AH's visit to the ER on Thursday. Does anyone know of a good website I can look to see what all this means? For instance, I'm interested in knowing with the falling WB and RB cell counts what that means. Also, I read somewhere that the ALT and AST numbers are important and they are really high...

Just hoping to find out a little more information.
I'm a nurse so I'll try and make it simple to understand for you:

WB are white blood cells. These are what your body uses to fight off infection. If they are falling, your immune system isn't doing so good.

RB are red blood cells. These transport all the good stuff the cells need and also help with clotting. If these are dropping, he is probably anemic as well

ALT and AST are liver function tests. If they become elevated, it basically means your liver isn't doing so well. That's bad.

All these items are results of liver disease. Your liver is involved with making things that help your immune system, filters out stuff, helps with clotting/bleeding, etc. These tests can show how bad the liver disease is...

Just a basic. Does that make sense?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BS08...it does make sense. Thank you! Is there any way to know what dangerously low levels are? Could I send you some numbers via private? Not for a diagnosis, just an idea.