Update - still safe

Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, tigger, you touched me with that story. You are "carrying the message" and helping others, what a wonderful example of what we try to do here at SR.

thank you so much.

Mike
Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Now I'm worried about her. The decision to call me and talk about it must have been HUGE for her. She said it's been going on for years. YEARS!?!

I hope she makes the right choice for her. Will go to sleep giving her safety and that of her daughter to God. Thanks for the encouragement Alice and Mike! Pray that she gets out, and that she understands how sincere I am, and that she has hope and courage.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tigger11 View Post
... Now I'm worried about her. ...
You can if you want to. But you already decided ...

...I suggested she seek DV counseling for herself and her daughter. Although I'm willing to be there for her, I am by no means qualified to help her. ...
... so let the professionals she calls do the worrying. That's their job

... Pray that she gets out, and that she understands how sincere I am, and that she has hope and courage....
She may not get out today. Maybe not _this_ time. What has happened is that she has seen with her own eyes that it is _possible_ to get out. _that_ is huge. When she is ready, when the time is right, she will make the choice.

All you have to do is keep being an example for others to see. That is how all the 12 step programs work, and how SR works. Not by giving advice or fixing people or doing things _for_ them. Simply by living our own lives to the best of our ability and allowing others to see where we have come from.

Mike
Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

She may not get out today. Maybe not _this_ time. What has happened is that she has seen with her own eyes that it is _possible_ to get out. _that_ is huge. When she is ready, when the time is right, she will make the choice.

All you have to do is keep being an example for others to see. That is how all the 12 step programs work, and how SR works. Not by giving advice or fixing people or doing things _for_ them. Simply by living our own lives to the best of our ability and allowing others to see where we have come from.
And that, in a nutshell, really IS what it's all about. I find myself on the look out for those unique opportunities to share a part of my story with someone. They are god appointments for me... an opportunity for someone to hear that they aren't alone, that there is safety and light and life and love and hope and happiness out there. Just as I had to take small baby steps to get out of that life, I understand that others do, too. I can plant a seed, give a phone number, share a little about what I learned in DV meetings.

Congrats on your small steps Tigger. When you look back on all those small steps you can see how very far you've come!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Tigger, did you give her the number to call?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mike, Cats - WOW thank you! I worried for a bit, but shortly after I wrote that post, I stopped. You're right... I should take my own advice which is something along the lines of that worrying does nobody any good. She has the tools she needs to make her own choices, and that gives her something to think about. For goodness sake, it took me 17 years to 1st-AH and 2.5 years to 2nd-AH to make the tiny progress I've made today. Why should I be impatient with others, that's just silly.

TJP - what number? She has the DV hotline number which I gave her, and she has my number, and the encouragement that work calls me all the time, day and night, and that I'd MUCH rather talk to her. Was there some other number I should have given her?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

No, I'm sorry I didn't express myself clearly. I just meant did you give her the DV hotline number (and you did).

Thank you for offering to help her out that way. She must be greatly relieved to have someone to talk to!! You are wonderful!