Cooking with Alcohol

Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Agree. Been thinking the same thing all day...my gut tells me that all is not right here.

and he of course says that "This time is different" from the past...he is not wanting to or needing to drink. And he feels so good spiritually, emotionally...quack, quack, quack. Another week of no meetings for him, hasn't been since sunday. No time you know. Quack, quack, quack.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Should I dump all the alcohol in my house? Is this a good idea? I thought I read somewhere not to.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am recovering alcoholic and I, also, attend Al-Anon.

I, also, am a culinary student who is around and cooks with alcohol five days a week in class. Why? Because the purpose of the steps is a pyschic change from the alcoholic mind. I can do most things that I want to do (that are positive), except drink.

That being said this has come after working the steps and putting their principles into action.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

RE: dumping alcohol.

Are you still living in the same house? If so, why would you dump the alcohol? To control his drinking? Then no.

If you are living together, discuss the matter with the recovering alcoholic and let him do the dumping if he thinks it will help his recovery. His Recovery - His Choice.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking I quit cooking with alcohol and quit ordering dishes made with alcohol in restaurants. Just don't see the point of walking some kind of line. I do not keep any alcohol in the house. That's just me.

Don't see that there's anything you can do about it, though. However, I don't think it is controlling behavior for you to not keep alcohol in your house during the early stages of recovery as a show of support, unless it is important to you to have it.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sorry I have no info on your AH and his desire about cooking with alcohol but I just wanted to say I am shocked at what Carol posted.
I always cook with alcohol. Man, I use wine to make white rice for crying out loud. Growing up in Europe and going to cooking classes there, there is wine in everything! And I have a 4 year old.
Thank you for starting this thread. I am going to have to rethink some cooking choices. Oh man, but I love my rice. I always get compliments on it!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Pelican, we do not live in the same house.

I just didn't want to provide free access, but heck he is old enough to buy his own anywhere he wants if that is what he chooses.

Trapeze, it is not important to me to have it in any way. My thought process is making a statement about not changing my life - he is the one with the choice to make. I have tried to be supportive in every way I can think of, yet he constantly tells me I am not supportive, I am not positive, I don't call or text him enough, I won't accept his apologies, the list goes on and on.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

You can't control or change the alcoholic. They have to do it for themselves.

Don't enable. Set your boundaries. Enforce the boundaries, etc.

I know, it is not easy nor any fun. A person who stops drinking for someone else is not in recovery.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

A person who stops drinking for someone else is not in recovery.
He says he stopped drinking for himself this time. However, there are so many red flags flying all the time you would think it was a home game day for the Nebraska cornhuskers.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

my therapist told me not to change my own drinking habits for anyone else.so i kept red wine at home, because i like it for my pasta sauce. and i enjoy a cup of red wine with it. my sister likes piņa coladas so i kept my malibu. alcohol is not a problem for me. if it is not for you and you enjoy it in moderation, keep your bottles of alcohol, keep your personal tastes.

if he wants to drink he will drink. you cant control him. i got the impression your post was about seeking validation your perspective and gut are right. for what is worth i think you are right and i would feel the same way.

he does not seem to have hit bottom. you cant do anything about it dear intheknow. but you can do tons of stuff for you. if you start focusing on what YOU want.... what YOU need.. it is guaranteed, you will feel better.

hugs!!