The lying never, ever stops

Old 11-04-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

[I am not sure what you mean by bringing them into this….If they do not know that he has a problem, then you are basically letting them to be part of his problem, and be his enablers. And if this is the truth then you need to check your motives as to why you haven’t told them.

Nah, I didn't bring my parents into it. My parents were friends with him before we got together (he's a bit older than me) and they're very aware of his addictions....mum just believes his lies still sadly
Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I still would ask why haven't you shared today's truth. He is an alcoholic and those giving him money need to know that.
It doesn't matter what they knew before, it is what it right in today that counts.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

First, I personally do not believe that alcoholism and addiction do not cause people to lie; that the lying is innate. The lying about the alcoholic behavior is where it starts. These people's entire LIVES become lies. This addiction takes over their behavior, their lives, and their relationships; and that includes lying about all sorts of things even when it makes no sense to lie. When alcoholics and addicts sober up and start to see their lies, they feel remorse. Have you ever been to an A.A. meeting or talked to someone in recovery? Just because someone is alcoholic or addicted does not make them a liar.

he just isn't a very good person.
Change your thinking girl, this is very unhealthy. You are judging another person and this is part and parcel of the disease system you are enmeshed in. Shame, blame and judging all go hand in hand with Denial. In fact, they are mechanisms of denial.

Change your thinking, change your life. You have no idea how much and how deeply this disease has affected your thinking.

Last edited by Learn2Live; 11-04-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
".

Alcoholics especially would probably love to foist their bad behavior onto their alcoholism, but that would be a lie. Neither alcohol nor alcoholism causes bad behavior. Yes, many alcoholics lie, or steal, or are manipulative, or are abusive.....etc., but it's NOT because they are alcoholics, it's because they're lying, stealing, manipulative, abusive.....etc. people.

NoelleR
My aw, prior to developing alcoholism, was an honest, kind, gentle, non manipulative, caring and intelligent person.

With alcoholism; lying, manipulative, abusive, etc etc. I have interviewed numerous recovering alcoholics. Some had bad character traits before addiction, some did not. In common was that they all lied, manipulated, and did nasty things while drinking. Be they educated, uneducated, affluent or not, chemical addiction leads to predictable behaviors.