The physical deterioration of alcohol!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The physical deterioration of alcohol!

OMG, I was just reading another post with excerpts from "Under the influence". I apologize for not remembering who's it was. After reading some of the longterm affects on the body I got a whole new take on it. My recent ex has gone downhill over the last couple of years. He sweats profusely while sleeping, he snores so loud and violently fighting for air that he has serious apnea going on, stops breathing often and for several seconds, his body flinches and flails, his legs twitch, he gets up nightly from stomach discomfort. His personal hygiene is poor and he has grown a large distended belly. When he was at the DR. 2 wks ago the nurse told him his blood pressure was high, and yet he stills drinks 2 bottles of Southern comfort in a sitting.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honey,

I'm sorry, detach if you can. If I was in your shoes, that is what I would do.

Do you want to know the biggest thing that stuck out at me in this? Not the ravages of alcoholism, sweetie, they will get worse. Be prepared and try to focus on you instead of him. Southern Comfort is sold in Canada!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MissFixit Thank you for your reply, I have ended the relationship a week ago, but I am working on detaching from him emotionally. What went on with this relationship has always had more to do with me than it does with him. I have much work to do but I am hopeful and focused.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((KatKrazy))) I'm sorry to hear about this. Please don't feel guilty over the fact that this man is your ex. He will only stop when he is ready to stop.

I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice. I'm just sharing my experience from dealing with my A stepson. His distended belly may be due to his liver failing. He may have a lot of ascites fluid built up in his peritoneal cavity. His breathing difficulty may be due to the additional pressure on his lungs.

Remember.....you did not cause this, you cannot cure him, and you cannot control what is happening. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, HG
Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Hydrogirl Thanks so much for your reply, very comforting to know I'll be in your prayers, once again, Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm growing

Isn't it amazing what this disease can do to people?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KatKrazy View Post
OMG, I was just reading another post with excerpts from "Under the influence". I apologize for not remembering who's it was. After reading some of the longterm affects on the body I got a whole new take on it. My recent ex has gone downhill over the last couple of years. He sweats profusely while sleeping, he snores so loud and violently fighting for air that he has serious apnea going on, stops breathing often and for several seconds, his body flinches and flails, his legs twitch, he gets up nightly from stomach discomfort. His personal hygiene is poor and he has grown a large distended belly. When he was at the DR. 2 wks ago the nurse told him his blood pressure was high, and yet he stills drinks 2 bottles of Southern comfort in a sitting.
Good lord. 2 bottles of soco in one time?! He is lucky to still be alive and needs to stop immediately.

Hope things work out.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soidog View Post
Good lord. 2 bottles of soco in one time?! He is lucky to still be alive and needs to stop immediately.

Hope things work out.
You and or his friends/family may be able to organize an intervention. A and E cable has a show called "intervention" and will help you understand what is is.

There is an excellent book all about intervention called "love first" jay.

Really a difficult thing to see a person killing themselves when there is such a simple solution.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve11694 View Post

Really a difficult thing to see a person killing themselves when there is such a simple solution.
I'm sorry, I'm no expert on alcoholism, but I think it's really wrong and unfair to suggest that there is a 'simple solution'.
If there was none of us would be here looking for support and the magic spell to cure our loved ones.
I watched my brother die with more than the symptoms described above, no one except him could have prevented that, and it certainly wouldn't have been simple.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Lucy, I think Steve is suggesting that abstinence from alcohol is the solution, the word "simple" is what is debatable.

In 4 years M went from a 123lb gorgeous woman full of life that lit up every room she entered to a sickly 85lbs, gaunt face, distended abdomen with a failing liver. She passed away in Sept. and if I had not see her deterioration with my own eyes I would not have believed it.

If it was a simple matter for M to stop drinking she would still be alive today. The solution appears simple to a person who has never struggled with an addiction.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Unfortunately "intervention" would not be a possibility. My ex told me he Loves booze and he minmizes the amount he drinks and minimizes how often he drinks. He is a "binge" drinker when life kicks him in the teeth, that is when he can consume large amounts of alcohol. He would drink beer for the most part when he was living with me but he always kept his place, after I would leave for college, he would go to his place and "consume" the hard stuff, come home gooned. His friends are all "hard" drinkers and in the 4yrs we were together I never met "any" of them, or his family for that matter. He does not come from a family with alcohol problems, he has been self medicating since his youth. It is heartbreaking to watch someone do this, he knows the consequences, he makes his choice. He engages hard drinking women and that is when he is the happiest, he always wished I would drink, I'm not a drinker.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
Lucy, I think Steve is suggesting that abstinence from alcohol is the solution, the word "simple" is what is debatable.

In 4 years M went from a 123lb gorgeous woman full of life that lit up every room she entered to a sickly 85lbs, gaunt face, distended abdomen with a failing liver. She passed away in Sept. and if I had not see her deterioration with my own eyes I would not have believed it.

If it was a simple matter for M to stop drinking she would still be alive today. The solution appears simple to a person who has never struggled with an addiction.
Aaah, you see, I've been around here for a while and I still get confused!
The way I read the post was that it was a simple matter for a family to carry out an intervention and hey presto, problem solved.