Father in need feeling better

Old 10-18-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Father in need feeling better

At a recent party I met a young bright lawyer. He got smashed and tried to coerce me into drinking also. I managed to politely excuse myself and head home. This brought back sad memories of my aw drinking.

Anyway a couple of days later I ran into his father. We chatted a bit and I mentioned the tragedy in my own family. He then opened up about his own son. Anyway, all I have learned from these forums along with other genres allowed me to explain addiction to this father. I could see his family is being torn over this. There was a gret feeling of community between the 2 of us, even in tragedy.

What a terrible thing for families, friends and loved ones to go through, not to mention what the alcoholics go through and the eventual realization that alcohol is THE PROBLEM and not the solution.....
Old 10-19-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

Thanks for this, Steve.

I've had the same thoughts in the past. Especially concerning xabf. He drinks now because, from his mouth, his life is awful. Because he has nothing. Because of depression and disgust with himself so he'll hide it with beer. I see what he has and what he goes through each day and though life could be better he still has so much. And it scares me to think about what will happen should his drinking lead him to losing even the little things he has. What happens when he has nothing? The ending results scare me.

If only we could explain addiction so well to the addict.

Hugs to you!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kv816 View Post
Thanks for this, Steve.

I've had the same thoughts in the past. Especially concerning xabf. He drinks now because, from his mouth, his life is awful. Because he has nothing. Because of depression and disgust with himself so he'll hide it with beer. I see what he has and what he goes through each day and though life could be better he still has so much. And it scares me to think about what will happen should his drinking lead him to losing even the little things he has. What happens when he has nothing? The ending results scare me.

If only we could explain addiction so well to the addict.

Hugs to you!
Thanks very much kv for your kind words. My aw too drowns herself in beer. The great sadness and perhaps toughest thing for loved ones to do is stop enabling.

I/we also have compassion for the alcoholic but perhaps your xab losing even more will hit bottom and "wake up" and choose sobriety. When they run out of things/people to blame they may recognize alcohol as the enemy.

We, as family/friends have learned how to deal with addicted loved ones. I avoid telling people my story because typically they will ask me "why didn't you help your wife" or "why didn't you take her to treatment". Those are normal responses from people that DON'T understand addiction.

and a big hug to you and everyone