Friday Check-In

Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday Check-In

Hello SR fam,

I have a little alarm clock that goes off on my computer every Friday morning at 8 sharp. It pops up a message on my Mac's screen that says, "What are you going to do for yourself this weekend?"

In these times where work & money issues are frightening to me, where one of my best friends died last week, where my husband is making ominous rumblings about wanting to move somewhere different and isolated, I'll tell you this: When that message pops up, I get royally peeved.

Oh, sure. Whaddya mean, do something for me? Can't my Mac see that I'm barely keeping my head above water here? Then I do a little self-help breathing (deep breath in for a count of four, hold for two, release for seven) and come up with one thing. Just to get it off my back. And I'm never sorry.

Here's my one thing: I'm taking myself out for coffee tomorrow. There's a coffee place in my town that's in what used to be the lobby of an old stagecoach hotel. You can get a nice creamy whippy number for about three bucks, and curl up on a sofa in the corner, or next to the woodstove, and sit for hours reading or writing or just staring into space, and they won't bug you.

Doing something just for YOU doesn't have to cost money, or be a big deal, or rock whatever boat you're trying to keep stable. But it has to be all about you, and no one else. Even one tiny thing is proof that you still love yourself, and that's proof that we all need right now.

What's your one thing?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great idea GL

I'm hiking tomorrow which I love to do, but it will be for most of the day. Don't I have more important things to do? more pressing matters that need that time? Yes and No. What I DO need is time for my physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. If I don't take that time, I won't be in good shape to face the following week.

Hope everyone chooses one thing this weekend to rest the mind and rekindle the spirit.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
In these times where work & money issues are frightening to me

What's your one thing?
The Promise that says "fear of people and financial insecurity will leave us" isn't always a guarantee for me, it's difficult to feel totally secure when I'm coming up short every month because of a reduced paycheck.

I'm going to load the kids and telescopes into the car tomorrow and take a drive out to the desert, we'll meet some old friends for the yearly All-Arizona Star Party. It'll be a nice way to get away from the hurries and worries, just for the night, and to enjoy the wonders of the heavens.

Enjoy that "nice creamy whippy number"! Sounds delicious
Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its supposed to be beautiful here this weekend! I think the part and/or the zoo are in order for us.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I'm planning a day of garden therapy tomorrow, assuming the weather stays as nice as it has been!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Having discovered an insatiable passion for photography over the past six months, I will spend tomorrow lugging around a tripod, getting behind the viewfinder, and attempting to capture something beautiful.

L
Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

My oldest son is in town this weekend and we have lots to celebrate! Good stuff, just need this crappy weather to clear out.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Puppy and I will be hanging out. He is chewing on his foot right now. Cute...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will drive into new york city to enjoy the autumn beauty.

and a good bookstore/cafe.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a very busy weekend between soccer games, daughter's birthday party, dinner at my parents on Saturday (and the Husky game), but I plan on fitting in some yoga and a workout, and Sunday afternoon , after the last kid leaves the party, I will let the kids veg out on TV, I will have a glass of wine and I will read the rest of the book I've been enjoying in my carpool this week.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well....I will be spending Saturday with my 4 year old grandson seeing the world through his innocent eyes. We will play, go for a walk, feed carrots to the horses down the road, cuddle, read books and just enjoy each others company.

Then....after I take him back to his Momma, I'm going to see a movie with friends.

Sunday.....relax and recover from trying to keep up with a 4 year old the day before!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is a really terrific alanon meeting tomorrow that is never convenient for me that I will attend.

It is a step meeting, only steps 1, 2, & 3 and the same people have been going for years and years to this meeting. I always laugh and people always say inspiring things.

I haven't been in a while but my kids have plans and I'm going to go!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is warm and beautiful today, and will be for the weekend. I'd love to go hiking in the mountains, but I won't get to do much of that until after graduation.

Instead, I'm going to school tonight and all day tomorrow, to sit in front of a microscope and grow disease-causing germs in petri dishes. Well, at least it isn't a blood and needle weekend-- I have good veins, so I am popular for blood draw practice in my hematology class. It may sound like a drag, but I really enjoy my classes. I'm where I belong, which is a great feeling, and has been much missing for many years.

After class I will go to a dinner meeting of my book group tonight.

Sunday I am going to a potluck and photo show at a friend's house, and taking my boyfriend.

Yea!!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Later this afternoon going to my local Chinese Tui-Na massage ladies for an hour of trying to get my shoulders down from around my ears! So STRESSED!!! It is inexpensive ($24 for an hour!) and a life-saver.

Then back to the couch to study study study all weekend, major exams next week. I am glad the weather is kinda cra**y and cold here - no distractions!

peace and enjoy the weekend all-
b.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm going to make myself get out of the house to see a friend, even if I don't feel like it. lol. I know I have to start moving, seeing people. Time to stop moping.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am going to second daughter's for a birthday party. My youngest daughter has come there for the weekend, so her 8 year old son can have his birthday with us all here.

So I will be surrounded by 3 daughters, 2 sons-in-law, 5 grandkids, and eldest grand-daughter's fiancee, plus a few more kids and adults. Noisy couple of hours ahead, but won't notice it thru the kisses, cuddles and "I love you's".

God bless
Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am going to finish a book I started a bit ago and hopefully, if the wind blows my way, go and fly a kite with my little girl.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Unfortunately I'll be at the hospital where my Grandma is now in ICU. We've been there most of the week and things aren't looking very good.

I did get notification that I got hired for a job though! Well, I got notice on Wed. late but I didn't see it until today as I've been so busy.

No idea about hours/pay yet, but hey, a job right?

I'll try to fit in some me time this weekend. I just huggled with my kitty
Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awakening

I'm gonna take the cruiser in for a front-end alignment, and checkup of all parts steering (those parts are important). Hopefully all will be well, if not, I'll deal with it.

Then maybe meet w/sponsor for 1 hour of step 4 stuff, then the Saturday meeting followed by lunch with Alanon friends.

Then my big 'keep me strong and young' work out, I love those. All pumped up, I can almost feel the testosterone coursing through my veins! Really, does it get any better than that?

Of course the piece de resistance..........the movie "Where the Wild Things Are" opens tomorrow. I think it may be LMC's first "read the book AND saw the movie" experience. I was about 30 before I ever saw a movie that I'd read the book too.

Church Sunday morn then SOMETHING outside, it is beautiful here now.

Of course we have to shop for Halloween outfits sometime this weekend.

Those are the high points. Have fun every body!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by canuckch View Post
if the wind blows my way, go and fly a kite with my little girl.
Man, thanks for the idea. It's been windy here all day, and we haven't taken the giant macaw kite out for a spin in a long time!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote