Looking for your feedback

Old 10-14-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone; so far, so good.

I suspect things may not go very far, yet (...but maybe). His finally admitting to me that he is an alcoholic has been wonderful to me. I believe it was his way of giving me permission to speak to him from that perspective (and he knows I speak plenty while trying to be nonjudgmental). He has told his close friends of his alcoholism and I've tried to get him to admit it to me (I promised his friends I wouldn't tell). He finally has admitted it, and it only took six years (sarcasm)! Believe me, I know the games a person can play, and I've done my best to not be a part of it. There is no hiding alcohol from me in that I never look for it. I'm one of those types that can spot a person who has had more than a few drinks with one look (I'm not necessarily proud of that, just happens to be the fact). He knows there is no *game* between him and I. Having said that, it has not always been easy for me to accept him where he is at (felt like hell at first), but I've had many years of practice.

I love him but it's the sort of love that will not watch him destroy himself either. He knows that, too.