Dating

Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Every time there is a dating thread on this board, I have to repeat the advice I read a long time ago here. I can't even remember who originally shared it, but here it is:

Make a list of all the attributes/traits you would want in a perfect partner.

Example:
Honest
Fun-loving
Compassionate
Understanding
Etc.

Then, take that list and make it your goal. Become that person. Not only will you start to be okay with just being by yourself, but, since like attracts like, you will find yourself surrounded by people who have the same traits. It has worked for me in my life, amazingly well, in fact.

L
Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Ladies!

I am actually laughing at myself now as this experience is just par for the course isn't it? Ironically, I have talked with him for a long time about my hang ups about dating and what I like in others. He has done the same. Just came down to words vs actions, he seems to be all talk. I am disappointed but accept what it is.

Do you think I need to explain to him why I won't go out with him again? As we have been friends for years, I feel weird just saying "no thanks" the next time he asks me out. I guess no explanation is needed though. I just want a light quick response. I feel like I am in middle school chatting with my girlfriends about boys....
Old 10-10-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

well, "I don't think your girlfriend would like that" might sound catty or jealous or something....but I tend to be a very blunt and pointed person....so, really, yeah, the "no, thanks" is best. LOL
Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Oh LTD, I totally agree but I was thinking of more petty things.

For instance:

Not everyone in this household has to get up at 6AM, so I'm constantly reminding the kids to keep it down, people are sleeping. I expect adults to know this. A grown man who has no common courtesy when others are sleeping is a dealbreaker for me.

Blaring the television and saying hunhh? rather than turn it down when speaking to me? Dealbreaker.

Refusing to learn what doorknobs are for and slamming every door rather than closing them? Dealbreaker.

Lifting your butt half off the chair to pass gas in my presence? Dealbreaker.

Etc.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
Oh LTD, I totally agree but I was thinking of more petty things.

For instance:

Not everyone in this household has to get up at 6AM, so I'm constantly reminding the kids to keep it down, people are sleeping. I expect adults to know this. A grown man who has no common courtesy when others are sleeping is a dealbreaker for me.

Blaring the television and saying hunhh? rather than turn it down when speaking to me? Dealbreaker.

Refusing to learn what doorknobs are for and slamming every door rather than closing them? Dealbreaker.

Etc.
Not petty at all. Common courtesy is what all those things have in common. That's really the dealbreaker, isn't it?

Maturity
Awareness
Courtesy

More for the list, eh?

L
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

None of those things, btw, did my AH do in front of me or around me until after we were married. And we dated over a year.

:/
Old 10-10-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Maybe not, but if you think about it, I bet there were clues (red flags, if you will) along the way. People are always on their best behavior in the beginning, but if you pay attention, there are little clues that come up.

I dated a guy once who was sweet and kind to me, but once in a while he would 'jokingly' dismiss my opinion as 'silly.' Not a total dealbreaker in and of itself, but I started to get the feeling that he didn't really respect me as much as he professed to.

Even when someone is doing their best to impress me, I would still be put off if they weren't courteous and respectful to others, for example.

L
Old 10-10-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh, he always was, and is courteous - in public. Since we didn't live together prior to marriage, I don't think there was any way for me to know some of these things.

There were red flags about his alcoholism, and how deeply disturbed he was...but not about the things I mentioned above.

I don't plan on living with/dating/etc. again anyway - so it doesn't really matter.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I dated a guy once who was sweet and kind to me, but once in a while he would 'jokingly' dismiss my opinion as 'silly.'
RED FLAG RED FLAG

This is the mysoginistic, "woman are cute but stupid" approach to life. My father, an A, cop, navy guy, raised three daughters and said, things like, "women drivers are idiots," to us or "don't act like a girl!" to my then 8 year old son.

My AH never behaved that way. He is respectful of women, children, gay folks, everyone. Until you marry him and don't like his drinking...
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
Picky, picky, picky.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks.

He hasn't called. Maybe my reaction to his response to me the other night said it all.

If he does call to ask me out, I'll go with Liveweyerd's "no thanks."

On a lighter note, new puppy and I are doing extremely well. He is napping right now. We are in love, so that is nice. He is always happy to see me and doesn't want another woman...
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Can I borrow your puppy?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sure. He is actually quite popular around here. I might be bringing him to a friend's child's b-day party as part of the entertainment.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well being a guy I can tell you it isn't any easier on this side of the equation.

I have started to think about this and wonder what I will look for. It scares the living heck out of me. I worry I will get saddled with someone worse than the AW. Then, I also worry I will find flaws in them all just so I don't get close enough to get hurt by another woman.

What would I look for?
Well, I am tall (6'4"), so taller would be nice. Dated a 4'11" woman once and I felt like a pedifile taking her out on dates, hehe.
Able to enjoy simple things
Enjoys the outdoors. The kids and I love to camp. Most women I have met hate camping with a passion.
Doesn't look at this 41 year old and say why don't you make twice your income? I made bad career choices when I was younger. Money is big to many and I really worry most won't give me a chance if I am not successful. Then again, if they are that way I don't want em! =)

I think right now I would be looking for someone just to share a laugh with and not have serious attachment. I never dated much growing up prior to the AW so my lack of success then worries me about my chance of success now. LOL

Most of all I am just not going to worry about it. I belive in a balance in life and things happen for a reason. For now I live for me and my kids. If I meet someone I can share my new love of life with, all the better. I am not defined by having someone on my arm or by my side.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post

P.S. There's no reason for you to feel embarrassed or stupid because someone else is a JERK.
Isn't that the truth? AMEN!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey Zak,

I can see your side too. My friend actually fits in your category. He just wasn't as up front with me as I feel he should have been.

Be honest is my motto. Especially when dealing with a friend.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I've made a conscious decision not to even think about dating for the time being. I don't trust myself not to make another bad decision, considering everyone I've ever been involved with has turned out to be a "fixit" project due to my codependency. I talked with my therapist about this and she is supportive. Its not that I'm saying "never", but I am saying "not right now." I have so much going on with my kids and animals and work, plus the complications of my life are more than I want to bring into someone else's world. I want to take this time for me, to learn me and work on my "stuff" and really break free of my codie behaviors.

Interesting thing my therapist recommended for if or when I do consider dating, she said to avoid one-on-one dates for a while and do group stuff. One, she said solo dates (dinners, etc) are really intimate. Two, she said people tend to be on their best behavior on solo dates and more themselves in group situations, so you often will see any problem behaviors faster in a group than you might when you're solo. Very interesting observation.