Alcoholic

Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic

Is not an insult, in my universe, merely a description. It is possible that some folks out there see my use of the word as an insult, it is not.

My name is John, I am an alcoholic.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i don't see it as an insult, but i will say to me it has quite a few negative connotations. then again i never thought of codependent as being very good either and i am slowly learning to call myself that.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I see it as a description of a disease that has far reaching effects. A disease that I am struggling to understand. I do not hate alcoholics, I hate the disease that affects alcoholics.

Like any other disease, the disease is cruel and ruthless sometimes and devastates its affected and their families.

Unlike most other diseases, it is treatable with intensive intervention and sheer determination. Each day must be a new commitment to prevail over the disease.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sailorjohn,

like many of my friends from open aa meetings, you have broken denial and gone beyond.

I think, for many alcoholics that have not gotten past denial, they may perceive the term as quite negative, and even as an insult. Getting past denial is crucial for recovery. I am sure nobody knows that better than those in recovery.

My hat is off for you