is hysteria part of the alcoholism?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

is hysteria part of the alcoholism?

I've noticed this about my AH over the years and it annoyed me. Now it's unbearable. Probably a combination of my increased awareness and his escalated alcoholism.

When I talk to my AH, and those moments are rare-only when necessary, he is always very sped up. Talking fast. Hysterical really.

When he was having his affair I did my share of snooping and his girlfriends texts and voicemails also sounded the same. All freaked out. She drinks more than he does, or so he says. I don't know how that is physically possible, but thankfully it isn't my problem anymore.

So that's my question. Is it a physical reaction to the booze? He's either sloshed or all sped up and freaked.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think so. Drinking takes a toll on you. When you don't have it and you "need" it you become angry. When you're doing it the alcohol sends messages to your brain and makes you act crazy. I was out of my mind when I was drinking.

I hope some others can offer you better help than me.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's just freaking out because he knows he doesn't have you to push around any more.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Zak Well that's true but then why was his affair partner behaving the same way?

I think it's about the freaking booze and what it does to you when you don't have it in your body in these later stages. He's getting worse.
Of course he also doesn't have me to push around anymore.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My ah is never like that. He has lots of anxiety in this last year and typical withdrawal symptoms if he doesn't drink. He paces around due to the anxiety but he is never sped up like you describe.

I should add that I'm 99.9999% sure he does not do any other type of chemical or substance.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

he doesn't behave that way when he's drinking, just when he's not.

And yes, i'm sure there's no coke or other drugs involved. Tons of coffee. Oh, that's right. I forgot. Amazing how quickly life without him erases the madness and I'm settling into a routine of my own- not his.

It's one of the things I don't understand about him and am grateful I don't have to live with. He'll drink a pot of coffee, wont eat and then acts like a jerk.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Thing about alcohol (and any drug) is that they can affect people differently. And, it can have a different effect on the same person at different times.

There's all sorts of physical chemistry involved in the equasion.

Bottom line is chronic alcohol abuse is unpredictable - though in another way it's totally predictable. What I mean is, in the end, it kills everyone. But what happens before they get to the end is totally random.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like a jerk you're fortunate to be rid of. Drama queens seek other drama queens. Oh well.

Whatcha doing for yourself today? Anything fun and "juicy" as SARK puts it?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Yes, GL, lots of juicy stuff today. Working at a job I love, watching amazing stories unfold before my eyes and out of my hands, looking forward to my kids coming home after school and thankful to the high heavens to be away from AH.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rs-please.html