Hancock, the movie

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hancock, the movie

When was the last time you watched that movie? I've seen it twice. The second viewing was this week. I think the movie is terrific.

The accuracy of an angry alcoholic a$$hole, portrayed by Will Smith is just so........familiar, right?

The first time I watched the movie was in my home with my children and my then active alcoholic husband. My children had seen the movie and recommended it. So we gather together for a family movie night. My AH did not like the movie. He would never say why, just he didn't like it. I remember walking around the house giggling after the movie. I said to anyone listening: "Don't you see what the moral of the story is? The farther away she gets from the alcoholic a$$hole, the stronger she gets!" Now I think I remember why he did not like the movie.

So I watched it again this week. Still like that moral of getting stronger by distancing yourself from the active alcoholic! But I also noticed the role of the codie in this film. Jason Bateman plays the PR guy who is going to change Hancocks image. He's our fixer!

Here's the great codie line from the movie. The scene is when Hancock arrives to meet with his PR guy. He arrives by super powers and crumbles the pavement in the center of the quiet cul-de-sac. Jason Bateman just bubbles with excitement at seeing Hancock. Hancock says something about did I just do that (meaning crumbling of the street) and our codie Jason Bateman says: "That, naw, it was already like that."

Snap! That's me!

Then I completely miss the next couple of lines of the movie because in my head I'm going through my steps.
I'm Aware of my denial.
I'm Accepting my denial is a way of avoiding reality.
I'm learning to take Action and live in reality.......

Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My former job was in PR. LOL That was a good movie. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was a good one, I wasn't sure what I'd think of it at first. Sometimes life lessons are found in interesting places
Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
"Don't you see what the moral of the story is? The farther away she gets from the alcoholic a$$hole, the stronger she gets!"
Pelican, you're a genius I swear I've seen that movie at least a dozen times in the past year, and I've never picked up that analogy about me and my alcoholic behavior, as well as the codependency in the movie.

Now I'm gonna have to watch it again!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

I thought it was an excellent movie but I was a little disappointed with the language. I think without the potty mouths it could have been an excellent family movie. But we all sat down to watch it and 20 minutes into it I shut it off. Watched it after my 5 year old went to bed--but Hancock had the typical angry alcoholic vocabulary and I really didn't think my little ones needed to hear that. If I thought they did I woulda stayed with xabf! lol

I have to admit though, my favorite part was the little german boy trying to call him an a$$$$hooooooollllllleeeee. THAT was hillarious!!!