I had one nerve left today, and my boss got on it!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had one nerve left today, and my boss got on it!

Three days now of one disaster after another of trying to get things set up in my new and very tiny work area, away from everyone else.

The transcription software is not working correctly, and refuses to allow my completed jobs to drop and a new job to come in.

She NEEDS to call tech support for the transcription software.

She said she told everyone except the doctors to please not use the door behind me, but use the other door to enter health information.

I had a nurse go in and out 3 times today, which makes me have to squeeze up to the counter where I am working.

Something else happens, and she sends me back out to a co-worker's pc to get more transcribing done, then she sends me back to the new area to try something else out, back and forth and back and forth and I could have had 3 times as much work done today if not for all the crap.

I have NO idea on God's green earth why I'm being moved in the first place. I already have a big desk, new computer, and a better sized monitor where I was (it's got to be a tiny 15" where I'm moving to). We have one gal leaving on Friday permanently, so that frees up her desk. Our preggers gal had her baby so she's out for 6 weeks, so there's another desk for the part-time coder who's filling in while she's on maternity leave.

I've left work with a frigging headache every day this week.

I just want to do my job, then come home and work on college classes!

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feel better now?

Sorry DeV. Sending some hugs your way Does not sound like fun, that's for sure!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I saw your thread title and was immediately taken back to a memory of my daughter when she was about 3 years old. (She's 16 now)

One day, when she was feeling particularly irritated at me, as 3-year olds often are at their mothers, she said "Mom, you are pushin on my last nerve!" I just love how little kids can mix three metaphors.

1) Pushin it!
2) Last straw!
3) Getting on my nerves!

Thanks for bringing back that memory for me today. It surely put a smile on my face.

L
Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about this DeVon. I hope things get better.

Them moving you so far away is a little odd...kinda reminds me of that guy in the movie Office Space. Oh well......I hope this works itself out for you, and you can feel good about being there again!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
I'm sorry about this DeVon. I hope things get better.

Them moving you so far away is a little odd...kinda reminds me of that guy in the movie Office Space. Oh well......I hope this works itself out for you, and you can feel good about being there again!
Yeah, it's just been the past two days I started thinking about it, and it makes no sense. She was even upset today that she is so short on help right now (she had hoped to find a full-time coder to fill in the six weeks while the one gal was out on maternity leave).

Why not get my computer set up where I have been at since I started there? We are all in a big room, and two other gals are pretty much transcriptionists too, though they do also code when needed.

I'm wearing down fast. I am not Superwoman, so something's got to give somewhere.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So it's Wednesday....you can look at it as two days left in the week or as three days already down. I'm inclined to say....THANK THE LORD IT'S WEDNESDAY! DeVon you can do this.

Ask yourself if this is this beyond your control? Are you at risk of losing your job because of these shinanigans?

I hope you can let it go and concentrate on what's in your power for the rest of day. Maybe some school work, a bubble bath, a little couch time, then bed.

This too shall pass.

Alice
Old 09-23-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Why not get my computer set up where I have been at since I started there? We are all in a big room, and two other gals are pretty much transcriptionists too, though they do also code when needed.
I don't know ............................................ why not ASK YOUR BOSS.

I have found over the years, that when I am 'frustrated' with what is going on at my work, if I ASK THE BOSS, I at least know the 'why' of the situation and sometimes "The Boss" has been more than willing to try my suggestions.

So .............................................. tomorrow ............................ ASK THE BOSS, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Hi DeVon, thanks for posting.

I had problems with my "boss" yesterday too. I put "boss" in quotation marks because I don't think she acts like a boss, other than she is bossy (and passive-aggressive among other things!). Sorry you're having a hard time at work. Try to just breathe through it, that's what I've been doing.
So many things other people do in our daily lives are just inconsiderate and make NO FRICKIN' SENSE! :wtf2
I feel the same way as you; I'd like to come to work and do my job and go home but it is so difficult these days.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One of the hardest parts of my recovery has been dealing with work issues. As long as you work for someone else, there is an imbalance of power. The employer/employee relationship is inherently out of balance because of that power. If you happen to have a boss (like I do) who is not healthy or balanced, there will inevitibly be times when your serenity is tested.

As Laurie pointed out, talking to the boss is the best solution. If that doesn't bring about the desired changes, then acceptance is the only recourse you have.

My therapist was the one who brought to my attention that my work relationships were similar in many ways to my relationship with my AH. Since most of the issues fall under the category of "accepting the things I cannot change," I am now working very hard toward changing my circumstances so that I can be self-employed. It's just one more step for me along the road of recovery.

L
Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Self-employment, I'm coming to believe, was a turning point in my recovery efforts. And not because I didn't have to deal with irrational bosses any more (though there are certainly fringe benefits to that ) but because I could expand the realm of "the things I COULD change" -- almost clear to the horizon, in fact. In the meantime, though, finding the courage to be gently honest with the people who had control over my work day was critical.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
If you happen to have a boss (like I do) who is not healthy or balanced, there will inevitibly be times when your serenity is tested.
Yep, that would be my boss also. She's very needy, and although I'm sure she's good at what she does or she would not be heading up the department, I often skip break time with everyone else because she tends to be critical and judgmental of others, especially behind their backs.

I called my sponsor last night and we had a good talk.

I turned things over and just left them there.

I liked to fell out of my chair today at break time when the boss announced the 'employee shuffle' at work as she hired another coder starting in a couple of weeks.

Not only am I NOT going back to that little corner, but someone higher up at the hospital told her that was an unsafe place ergonomically for anyone to be working!

So, I'm going over to the work area where our former coder, who left to work for my doctor, was at. There's a nice little bookcase over there, I have a big bulletin board on the wall, and a partition between me and the next gal that also doubles as a bulletin board.

There's even enough room that my wrist rest for the keyboard can be away from the keyboard as opposed to bumped right up against it where I am at now (I have loooong piano-playing fingers).

Right now this job is good experience for me in the field. Ideally I'd like to do remote coding in a few years out of my home.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((DeVon))

I'm glad that you don't have to go back to stand in the corner and you have a much better desk to be sitting at.

It sounds like you have the right attitude, just some days are going to be hard to take and it's good you have a place to vent!! Any of the zoo crew look mean? Maybe take them to work with you to make sure you don't get mistreated

Hugs and prayers!

Amy